Find the answer to your Linux question:
Running CentOS release 5.7 (Final) 64-bit, clean image with only VMWare tools setup and networking configured. It was purpose built to host Smoke Ping, and I performed the install exactly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing SmokePing on Cent OS

Running CentOS release 5.7 (Final) 64-bit, clean image with only VMWare tools setup and networking configured. It was purpose built to host Smoke Ping, and I performed the install exactly as described:

how2centos.com/installing-smokeping-on-centos-5-5/

However, I receive an Error 500 when browsing to localhost/smokeping/smokeping.cgi

SELinux is running permissive mode, no errors in /var/log/messages. Do have errors in/var/log/httpd/error_log:

[Sat Feb 04 16:38:48 2012] [error] [client 172.18.2.61] (2)No such file or directory: exec of '/var/www/html/smokeping/smokeping.cgi' failed
    [Sat Feb 04 16:38:48 2012] [error] [client 172.18.2.61] Premature end of script headers: smokeping.cgi
    [Sat Feb 04 16:38:48 2012] [error] [client 172.18.2.61] File does not exist: /var/www/html/favicon.ico
    [Sat Feb 04 16:45:03 2012] [error] [client 172.18.2.61] script not found or unable to stat: /var/www/cgi-bin/test-cgi

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It looks like you did not install the files where they are expected to be. Look on the server in /var/www/html to see if the appropriate stuff mentioned in the error log is there. If so, perhaps either file files are corrupted (probably not - it can't find them at all), or the directories are not accessible by the web/application server. What are you running for your web/application server?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    It looks like you did not install the files where they are expected to be. Look on the server in /var/www/html to see if the appropriate stuff mentioned in the error log is there. If so, perhaps either file files are corrupted (probably not - it can't find them at all), or the directories are not accessible by the web/application server. What are you running for your web/application server?
    1. @Rubberman, prior to your response I amended the file owner of /var/www/html/smokeping to 'root'. Per your suggestion, here is the contents of /var/www/html:

[root@localhost html]# ll -a
    total 24
    drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Feb 3 14:55 .
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Oct 20 16:05 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Feb 3 15:08 smokeping

2. The webserver is:

[root@localhost html]# apachectl -v
    Server version: Apache/2.2.3
    Server built: Oct 20 2011 17:00:12

Update of symptoms:

[root@localhost html]# service httpd restart
    Stopping httpd: [ OK ]
    Starting httpd: [ OK ]
    [root@localhost html]# service smokeping restart
    Stopping Smokeping: [ OK ]
    Starting Smokeping: [ OK ]
    [root@localhost html]# service smokeping status
    smokeping dead but subsys locked

When I browse to
    localhost/smokeping/smokeping.cgi I receive an "internal server error has occurred."

The issue sounds similar to described here:
    howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15919

Should the owner of /var/www/html/smokeping be something other than 'root'? I'm open to any suggestions!! Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sorry, but I'm at my limits here since I have never worked with smokeping. If I find out anything else that might help you, I'll let you know!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Apache isn't going to be able to read the contents of the directory if it is root:root. Maybe changing it to root:apache or what ever the group is for Apache would help. I am sure you have not given Apache root privileges.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted