Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Friends, I have a UEFI-based system with 6TB of storage and 16GB of memory. I had enabled UEFI boot and installed RHEL 6.2 on it. System installation looks like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RHEL 6.2 on UEFI based system

Hello Friends,

I have a UEFI-based system with 6TB of storage and 16GB of memory. I had enabled UEFI boot and installed RHEL 6.2 on it. System installation looks like fine, it successfully installed. The problem is once I reboot after complete installation it always end up on GRUB prompt.

I have Dell R710 server. Did anyone have similar kind of issue?

Please help to solve this issue. Thanks a lot in advance

-R
    Last edited by rbasukala; 02-07-2012 at 02:18 PM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Did you install 6.3 beta? Grub is not, afaik, not uefi compliant. I think Grub2 is. Try changing the boot loader to Grub2, or did 6.3 install grub2 for you? I was thinking I read something about them changing the boot loader to grub2 for 6.3, but I don't know for sure.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    How can I install Grub2 for RHEL 6.2?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbasukala View Post
    How can I install Grub2 for RHEL 6.2?
    Here's someone with a similar issue, and btw, you should be able to boot your OS from the grub shell even now. They have added a bit of EFI support into the legacy Grub bootloader and shell.

GRUB2 EFI Support Musings

Also, you can get grub2 here: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-download.html

Just Joined!
    Is there anyone who had successfully installed RHEL 6.2 on Dell PowerEdge R710 server with UEFI boot manager enabled?

-R

Is there anyone who had successfully installed RHEL 6.2 on Dell PowerEdge R710 server with UEFI boot manager enabled?

-R
    Is it set up to require a signed installation? If so, then you are SOL unless you are able to change that setting.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Is it set up to require a signed installation? If so, then you are SOL unless you are able to change that setting.
    "signed installation", is this UEFI installation feature? I didn't see this feature while checking UEFI boot manager.

Thanks,
    -R

"signed installation", is this UEFI installation feature? I didn't see this feature while checking UEFI boot manager.

Thanks,
    -R
    There has been a big kerfuffle lately about Microsoft requiring that Windows 8 be installed on systems with a "locked" UEFI, which means that only signed operating systems, and OS drivers, with compatible certificates in the system flash memory can be installed. IE, only Windows since Linux would have a real problem with this. After a big hew and cry from the Linux community over this, they sort of backpedaled on it, allowing system manufacturers to let the user decide if they wanted the UEFI bios to be "unlocked" so they could install other operating systems and unsigned drivers. However, MS is moving forward with the requirement that ARM systems that will be running Windows 8 MUST have a locked UEFI so only signed systems and drivers can be installed - ie, Windows only... So, has the UEFI bios been "locked", requiring a signed OS? You should be able to find out from Dell about that.