Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Firstly, I have searched a lot for the answer online but couldn't find any which exactly explains my question. So, I am posting it here(I hope this is the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suggestion in choosing OS for Redhat Certification Prep...

Hi,

Firstly, I have searched a lot for the answer online but couldn't find any which exactly explains my question. So, I am posting it here(I hope this is the right place to post).

I am about to start my preparation for RHCSA & RHCE certifications and bought Michael Jang's guide for this. As the exam is completely practical based, I would like to know which OS should I use at home to practice. i.e either Cent OS or RedHat? I am aware that Cent OS is 100% binary compatible with RedHat. Does that mean, I can perfectly practice everything in CentOS for my exam? Wouldn't I face any difference & difficulty in the exam which is RHEL6 based?

Someone please suggest me in this regard. Thank you very much in advance.

Regards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

I'd suggest using either CentOS, RHEL, or Scientific for your purpose.

Good luck to you with your studies and efforts.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hey oz,

Thanks for your immediate reply. I am somehow willing to use RHEL6 instead of CentOs6 to prevent myself getting scared of suddenly seeing new things in the exam which I wouldn't have encountered during my practice if I use CentOs. What do you say?

And, regarding RHEL, if I download the trail-version for RHEL6(i.e free), can I use it even after the 30-day period for my practice purposes? And as I might not be able to use RedHat network for installing additional packages after evaluation period, can I use the packages from CentOs community in RHEL for the practice?

Sorry, if my question is weird, considering I am a novice in differences between Linux distros'.

According to your situation, RedHat would be a good choice.!

Quote Originally Posted by linuxsky View Post
    I am somehow willing to use RHEL6 instead of CentOs6 to prevent myself getting scared of suddenly seeing new things in the exam which I wouldn't have encountered during my practice if I use CentOs. What do you say?
    Seeing how CentOS is a copy of RedHat, i.e. Centos is built using the RH srpm's, you should not be seeing any differences. The only difference is the RH trademarks have been removed. And as you should be using the CLI your chances of seeing trademarks is very minimal.

What people fail to understand is when you pay for RedHat you are not. RedHat is free, it is the updates and support that you pay for.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Thanks Oz, Pradeep & Lazydog for the clarification...

As you guys suggested, I will install RHEL in my home server for practicing.
    Additionally, I shall install CentOs in my laptop(as a workstation), just to play around and get familiar with it.

Your timely suggestions are much appreciated.
    Regards...

you will be safe working with CentOS , I have been using Redhat for a good few years and its painless to move over to CentOS.