Find the answer to your Linux question:
So on Sunday night I downloaded some updates, and managed to bump up Firefox from the version that loads with RHEL to the current 10.something. Everything seemed fine and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question RHEL 6.2 Boot Hangs

So on Sunday night I downloaded some updates, and managed to bump up Firefox from the version that loads with RHEL to the current 10.something. Everything seemed fine and I went to bed happy with myself for another evening of successful Linux learnin' (I am still in me rookie season with Linux).

Pulled the laptop out of the bag (Dell Latitude D830) to fire up Monday morning and it looked like it was going to boot normally, had the splash screen the reads "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" with the little spinning circle below it...and then the circle disappeared...and then nothing. I had to, unwillingly, do a hard shutdown and boot again. Same thing.

So I did another hard shutdown and this time hit "Esc" so I could watch it boot. It gets to:

"Starting rhsmcertd 240 1440"

And it stops right there. The only failure I see during the boot is "Brining up interface WiFi-Net: Device does not seem to be present, delaying initialization." which of course is my wireless network.

First I tried booting off of the install DVD and doing an "upgrade", but that didn't accomplish anything.

Then I tried disabling the wireless NIC in the BIOS with no change, so I removed the card from the system, again with no change.

I then tried booting to runlevels 2 and 3, and got two lines past the rhsmcertd line:

"Ebtables v2.0 registered"
    "lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions"

I tried booting to my 6.1 kernel, and it did the same thing, but with the addition of some warning about my kernel being "old".

Finally, I tried to use "chkconfig --2345 rhsmcertd off" in the GRUB kernel boot area where I changed the runlevel, but that didn't help either.

A buddy of mine recommended that I hit "Ctrl F1" when it stops to see if it goes into some sort of "Terminal Mode" but that didn't do anything at all. At this point, I am out of ideas and am seriously considering throwing the install DVD in and starting over.

Pretty furstrated with RHEL as I have been using it since Novemeber and every month or so I manage to kill it somehow without really doing anything other than adding/removing software or running updates. So far I have been able to dig up stuff on the Interwebs that gets me through it, but I can find very little about this one.

Please help.

are you sure you talk about RHEL 6.2 and you want to maintain RHEL 6.2 ?
    RHEL 6.2 is a historical item somewhere from past millennium around year 2000 or so, =computer and linux stoneage ...
    the world progresses and may be your current problem just is a signal that you too may consider to progress and upgrade

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hans51 View Post
    are you sure you talk about RHEL 6.2 and you want to maintain RHEL 6.2 ?
    RHEL 6.2 is a historical item somewhere from past millennium around year 2000 or so, =computer and linux stoneage ...
    the world progresses and may be your current problem just is a signal that you too may consider to progress and upgrade
    What? RHEL 6.2 was just released last December? Unless I am crossing up my version numbers, pretty sure it's RHEL 6.2...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hans51 was confusing RedHat 6 (circa 2000) with RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 (December, 2011).

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've been using a clone of RHEL 6.1 on my D630 laptop for awhile now (Scientific Linux), and while it uses the same kernel as 6.2, the utilities are different. Once I installed the correct driver for my wireless, it has worked flawlessly. Perhaps the wireless driver needs to be updated? Have you tried booting into an older kernel? If so, and you can, have you tried checking into the wireless driver and/or firmware? I know my D630 using the broadcom b43 class of device, so it was a "fun" experiment in getting it to work properly. Fortunately, Welcome - Linux Wireless pointed me to the fact that Broadcom has recently released new Linux drivers and firmware for these devices. Anyway, that is a site worth visiting, no matter what wireless cruft you are struggling with.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Good advice: clonezilla

IMHO, RHEL is not the best OS to run on a laptop. And I cannot help you further with your issue, but give you one timesaving tip. From time to time, take an image of your system disk with Clonezilla. When things like these happen, just restore your harddisk with the latest image. Back on track!