Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HI. I have a new simptom if you have any ideas: I installed 32 bit ubuntu because a driver is provided for it. I ran the driver, uninstalled it, rebooted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HI.

I have a new simptom if you have any ideas:

I installed 32 bit ubuntu because a driver is provided for it. I ran the driver, uninstalled it, rebooted and my driver stopped freezing.

I than did a fresh install of ubuntu and scientific linux. On both my driver was still working like a charm, even after reboots.

But than I went home yesterday and halted the computer. And today the probelm was back. So I tried it out today and yes -
    The problem is: When I do a reboot any number of times after running the official driver everything is ok with my driver. When I do a halt things brake down.

So I would really appreciate if you could point me towards a book/web page... something that explains more about this.

I read somewhere that some pci configureation gets stored somewhere to be used by bios on next boots. Is it possible that Linux overrides this? Can I access this from somewhere? As I said I would REALLY appreciate a link or a book reference, because it's getting harder and harder to google this.

Thanks for the help

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Flooby dust situation, for sure! Sorry, but I don't know where to point you for specific answers, other than to the hardware/driver manufacturer. Try to get into contact with one of their engineers who might have a clue as to what their Windows driver is really doing. That has worked for me in the past, although it usually requires some begging, pleading, grovelling, and general abasement of self and ancestors.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Flooby dust situation, for sure!
    I don't like this flooby dust stuff. Whenever something repairs by it self there are bound to be problems.

So groveling it is, just have to figure out which ancestor

Bye and thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Often flooby dust is employed by a very senior engineer who comes into your office/lab because of the banging noises you were making as head meets wall repeatedly, looks at what you are doing, and then with a few key taps or turns of a screwdriver and mumbling some incomprehensible gibberish, fixes your problem. When you ask what they did they only answer "It just needed a bit of flooby dust"...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2