Find the answer to your Linux question:
Will be thankful for any help, because e-mail support could not solve my problem. My subscription to RHEL 5.4 updates has expired long time ago. Recently I finally managed to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Update is not working

Will be thankful for any help, because e-mail support could not solve my problem.

My subscription to RHEL 5.4 updates has expired long time ago. Recently I finally managed to pay for it. I've got my number and key, so everything is ok.

I started my package updater, but it says no packages to update. Althought, when I enter RHN to manage my system, there are a lot of updates.

I tried manual method, by selecting all the updates on RHN and clicking apply. Then I entered 'rhn_check', but it says loaded rhnplugin and that's all. No action at all.

I tried to delete system an RHN, then register it back - nothing!

So, I can't update my system, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello and Welcome.
    I think your best bet is to contact the nice folks at RHN and see what they say about your account. MAybe it hasnt been re-activated yet.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I'm not sure, but I think that 5.4 is no longer under LTS (Long-Term-Support). You need to update to at least 5.5 or later. I think that 5.8 has just been released. Moving from 5.4 to 5.7 or 5.8 should not be a major risk with respect to incompatibilities with your existing software. Moving to 6.x might be a more serious situation though.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think that 5.4 is no longer under LTS (Long-Term-Support). You need to update to at least 5.5 or later. I think that 5.8 has just been released. Moving from 5.4 to 5.7 or 5.8 should not be a major risk with respect to incompatibilities with your existing software. Moving to 6.x might be a more serious situation though.
    I don't see separate channels for 5.4, 5.7, or 5.8, just "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5". In my experience, you'll move from update release to update release as you perform updates. I don't know how to square that with what the lifecycle page says about EUS for 5.4. I'm not familiar with LTS as a support category or lifecycle phase; it doesn't turn up on the RH Customer Portal. I could use further education on that, as I'm the unofficial Red Hat issues guru for my organization.

I'd definitely open a ticket if I were OP. It's not clear from this whether the system is correctly registered, subscribed correctly, and actually checking in with RHN.

Just Joined!
    Thanks everyone, it seems there is no way, but to get in touch not only with customer support, but with technical support now.

Regarding updates for LTS, when I login to RHN, I can see a lot of updates for my system, I even can click apply them and confirm, but that's all.

Anyway, thank you!