Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
As the title says I'm trying to learn CentOS 6.2. Unfortunatly I'm not sure where to start. I have a rudimentry understanding of Linux in general and understand reading the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help learning CentOS

As the title says I'm trying to learn CentOS 6.2. Unfortunatly I'm not sure where to start. I have a rudimentry understanding of Linux in general and understand reading the readme files means something unlike windows for example lol. I can do a search and find decent sites like CentOS .org as well, but I'm looking for a good all in one place that I can put my faith in.

For example I am tring to install a wireless card on a dual boot machine. I just added CentOS and everything is working pretty well just no wireless. So I've installed it to the best I can tell and I've stumbled in a few places. First off the "make" command, it seems this compiles everything listed in a Makefile but I never could get it to work. It had a diffrent method of instillation so I went that route and even though it installed still nothing.

Not working is a little beside the point I'm seeing if there the correct drivers but I'm looking at this "make" command and it seems really easy but I'm not having any luck with it. I googled it and found a site with all the flags and a brief explanation as well. It have the syntax etc etc but no luch getting it to do anything on my end. So I'm thinking I need one place with good info I can turn to first. The internet is a smorgisborg of mis information and outdated information after all. I've even went to Books-a-Million and had no luck finding something there. I'm really interested in learning this because I want to do SA when I graduate next year so I'm trying to get decent knowlege now so I'm not screwed down the road.

Forums like this are great, and I have asked many questions on them in the past for other things, but i'm of the nature that I like searching things out you know? Someone is now asking why I'm asking instead of searching it out myself lol, but in this case it's better to ask if people know where I can go than to pick at random and get bad info up front

Thanks for reading my wall of text all. Any help is appreciated.

I learned linux the old school way through trial and error. I do not believe there is one site that fits everything as there is so much information on the web that it would be hard to compile a signal site to contain it all. also you have to remember that some information is outdated so be careful when following something. try to see when the site was last updated.

As for your wireless card, run lspci to see what it is and then do a search for drivers on that card. I do not think you will have to compile your own drivers now days. you might also do a search for a how-to guide that should show you what you need to do to get it up and running.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Yea I do trial and error a lot as well, I don't mind it because I learn better that way but Linux is something that you can't ask someone around you for the most part unfortunatly which is why I'm trying to locate a resource to use. I did get those drivers installed but I'm not sold on them being the correct ones, as for the compiling of them they had a Makefile in the directory and a lot of .c files so either they were there in case of a manual edit and the rest were compiled elsewere I don't know. The out of date is part of the issue though, I know the basics don't always under go changes but even so lol.

What do you recommend to familiarize myself with it. We're working on it in class, but I'd like to do things outside of class as well, but as it is I need a goal in order to get into the guts of it all and not sure what goal I should define.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    here is a good place to start The Linux Documentation Project

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Good deal, I bookmarked it, also I'll be installing Ubuntu and removing CentOS. I took my laptop in and let my professor work on it with me and it seems like CentOS is a kernal thats in a grey area and thats the issue. It goes through the install process but returns errors. At least with Ubuntu I'll have better platform support as well as drivers he thinks while still being able to learn the basics of Linux before moving more into SA things later on.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If you are still interested in CentOS, you can learn it using the documentation for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Its a rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and I suspect the reason why it did not automatically setup your wireless card is because it uses an older kernel which has no (or little support) for the hardware you are running.

Just Joined!
    The kernal isn't supported. It's a grey area type deal when it might or might not work according to the documentation that came with the drivers. My best guess is where it's 6.2 and there was a new kernal released and installed by the update manager it's going to take some time for a workable one to be found. This is why he suggested I just use Ubuntu for my laptop and we'll continue on CentOs in class. Once I can obtain a working wireless driver and have some more experiance under the belt I'll most likely change back. As it is I'm mostly trying to acclimate myself to command line. I'm 32 so I was around when DOS was still used over a GUI, but when Win 95 hit GUI took over for the most part minus the DOS Shell to do some things.

I have to agree with Lazydog on one specific point...
    I learned what I know about Linux the same way that he did. Trial and error... use it. If something breaks, or simply doesn't work, Google that sonovagun.
    Fedora was my distro of choice for a while. I did move on, though.

FWIW, if you ar4e looking for a more modern kernel with better wireless support, you might want to look at Scientific Linux. It's another RHEL clone, designed for the Scientific community.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueWatchmen View Post
    I just added CentOS and everything is working pretty well just no wireless. So I've installed it to the best I can tell and I've stumbled in a few places. First off the "make" command, it seems this compiles everything listed in a Makefile but I never could get it to work. It had a diffrent method of instillation so I went that route and even though it installed still nothing.

Not working is a little beside the point I'm seeing if there the correct drivers but I'm looking at this "make" command and it seems really easy but I'm not having any luck with it. I
    With the wireless and running the "make" command, Are you doing the following:
    1. ./configure or ./autogen.sh
    2. make
    3. make install

1 just configures it to your system (not extremely important), 2. compiles it, and 3 installs it. If you don't run "make install" it will not work and you will just be left with a compiled driver/program in a folder.

also make sure you do all of this as root, using the "su" or "sudo" command in terminal
    su= root user password
    sudo= user password to gain temparary root privileges

For example:
    Code:
    user@domain:~$ su
    Password: ******

root@domain# ./configure
    terminal does its thing

root@domain# make
    terminal does its thing

root@domain# make install
    terminal does its thing
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 03-06-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, but I already killed CentOS. When my professor couldn't get it to compile even I figured I'd move onto Fedora Wireless worked right out of the box even hehe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast