Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mudgen
Hey guys. I currently use Fedora 14 and I want to upgrade to Fedora 16. But I dont like the GNOME 3 interface. Is there a way I can update ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Want 16 not 3!

Hey guys. I currently use Fedora 14 and I want to upgrade to Fedora 16. But I dont like the GNOME 3 interface. Is there a way I can update to Fedora 16 without changing my GNOME2?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Not that I'm aware of but you might be able to install the Mate desktop on it.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Short answer... nope. Gnome3 is part of the update.
    Adding to elija's suggestion of Mate, you might also want to look at the Cinnamon desktop. It takes the Gnome Shell and adds a few twists. I've not used it, but it's supposedly very similar to Gnome2 in most ways.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Yeah Cinnamon gets good reviews. It's not (yet?) very configurable though.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!

How about trying XFCE

Quote Originally Posted by sammylnx View Post
    Hey guys. I currently use Fedora 14 and I want to upgrade to Fedora 16. But I dont like the GNOME 3 interface. Is there a way I can update to Fedora 16 without changing my GNOME2?
    Hi,

Have you tried the fedora with the XFCE desktop? You can download fedora 16 XFCE spin version directly from the fedora site. I'm not a fan of gnome 3 (or unity in ubuntu) but using the xfce desktop has been great. I find many functions and features MUCH easier to find and use with XFCE.

Ozzlawrence.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Not that I'm aware of but you might be able to install the Mate desktopon it.
    thanks elija. I quite like the Mate Desktop...this is exactly what I wanted. thanks mate you r a lifesaver

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Short answer... nope. Gnome3 is part of the update.
    Adding to elija's suggestion of Mate, you might also want to look at the Cinnamon desktop. It takes the Gnome Shell and adds a few twists. I've not used it, but it's supposedly very similar to Gnome2 in most ways.
    Its looks good. But very Windows-ish :P. Somebody tell those GNOME guys they are DOING IT WRONG!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzlawrence View Post
    Hi,

Have you tried the fedora with the XFCE desktop? You can download fedora 16 XFCE spin version directly from the fedora site. I'm not a fan of gnome 3 (or unity in ubuntu) but using the xfce desktop has been great. I find many functions and features MUCH easier to find and use with XFCE.

Ozzlawrence.
    Hi Ozz. No I haven't dont that yet. But I think I will give it a try. GNOME3 is aaargh, KDE is very cluttery. I suppose XFCE & Mate are my best options. Thank you guys again!

Just Joined!
    Just install gconf-editor (or maybe it was dconf-editor), enable destop icons, and change stuff to the way you want it. If you need a panel, you can code it if there's no plugin for it. If you want an applications menu, just install the plugin for it. Gnome-3 is not as bad as most people think it is... You can reconfigure it to be gnome2-ish. I personally like gnome 3. I can just press my windows key and lazily start typing in part of a program name and hit enter to launch it. It has a quicker and more efficient workflow if you're willing to take some time to adjust to it.

Gnome3 is why most of my machines are still at F14. I'm waiting for in-repo tools to replicate some of the Gnome2 stuff I'm missing, like right-clicking an open application on the task bar and selecting close (G3 foregrounds it), dragging task bar items to rearrange, and a host of other trivial behaviors that add up to a huge gap.

I've been programming and scripting for nigh on 30 years, but I don't see why a new version of a desktop should require me to code a hundred things that were already there in the previous version.
    sammylnx likes this.