Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by stampmagnet everytime i asked anything about a simpler file system or said that GUI is better than CLI I had a bunch of people angry saying that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Quote Originally Posted by stampmagnet View Post
    everytime i asked anything about a simpler file system or said that GUI is better than CLI I had a bunch of people angry saying that the current file system architecture is way better.
    Yes, I think people don't like to change things. Like when Ubuntu changed their user interface from Gnome to Unity, everyone got very angry.

But the traditional UNIX system has many advantages as well, especially stability. It has been used for about 35 years now, and the assumptions made when choosing the hierarchy were made for very good reasons. So no one really complains about the file hierarchy, they just learn how to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by stampmagnet View Post
    The GoboLinux project is dormant. I am contacting because I am a software architect (though never really worked much with Linux) and the company wants to start using Linux for their products.
    I see, so it is probably not a good idea to use GoboLinux, because there is no active development.

So did you want to have the active development of Fedora or RedHat Enterprise, but the stylish GoboLinux filesystem hierarchy? If so, I think this is just not possible right now. Maybe some day when many people see the benefits of GoboLinux, this will be possible.

Just Joined!
    Code:
    Yes, I think people don't like to change things. Like when Ubuntu changed their user interface from Gnome to Unity, everyone got very angry.
    But that's because Unity is just a terrible UI.

Code:
    But the traditional UNIX system has many advantages as well, especially stability. It has been used for about 35 years now, and the assumptions made when choosing the hierarchy were made for very good reasons. So no one really complains about the file hierarchy, they just learn how to use it.
    good code is what makes something stable not really how to place the files. i heard a lot say CLI never freezes but I have seen it freeze a lot.

Code:
    So did you want to have the active development of Fedora or RedHat Enterprise, but the stylish GoboLinux filesystem hierarchy? If so, I think this is just not possible right now. Maybe some day when many people see the benefits of GoboLinux, this will be possible.
    yes as far as I see it though someone somewhere has to start the development. the project is going to be backed by a company as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2