Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a frustrated newbie. My newly installed system was working great after fixing some video card problems. Then I downloaded updates and installed them. Since then I have not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't boot into F16 after updates

I am a frustrated newbie. My newly installed system was working great after fixing some video card problems. Then I downloaded updates and installed them. Since then I have not been able to boot into Fedora 16. The GRub2 loader goes through its process and then I get a black screen. I can boot into the recovery console and wonder if editing the xorg.conf will help. But I do not know how to do that. Please help! Thanks and regards.

Just Joined!
    Does it boot when you select an older kernel from the GRUB menu?
    If you are using a third party video driver, like an Nvidia or ATI driver, you will need to reinstall it every time you update the kernel. You can boot into runlevel 3 by appending 3 to your kernel arguments in grub, reinstall the driver and then go to runlevel 5 (init 5). With third party drivers, the install scripts compile the driver against your running kernel, so if you upgrade the kernel, you will need to run the installer again.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for responding, burf. Appending 3 doesn't do anything. Neither does booting from the old kernel. As far as reinstalling from a rescue mode from a recovery line, I went to my home folder where the install file is, and it doesn't want to install it. It gives me an error message like, you are running an x86 machine. Even though I originally installed Fedora 16 i686. The driver I am talking about is the amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86..x86_64. It worked perfect with my original configuration before the updates. Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close