Find the answer to your Linux question:
Knowledgeless question. How do I bypass the root password on a remote client? I am using an .sh script to shutdown up to 200 machines on our LAN. Problem is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face Bypass psswd request from client machine on LAN shutdown from server

Knowledgeless question.
    How do I bypass the root password on a remote client?

I am using an .sh script to shutdown up to 200 machines on our LAN. Problem is I am asked for the root password for each machine. They all have the same root password and a shared key. Since it is a closed network security is not a big issue, but a root password is required by policy.

I Can provide the script I am using if needed.

Thanks for any help provided.

Linux Enthusiast
    Assuming remote client is Linux, it can be done by giving a regular user (on remote client) sudo access to shutdown command that would not require password.
    This can be configured in /etc/sudoers file, using
    Code:
    visudo
    command.

Hope this helps a bit.

Just Joined!
    Yes the clients are RHEL 5. The problem has been fixed. Thanks for your response. Turns out the previous sysadmin did not copy the keys correctly to the client machines. On our server I am only allowed ssh commands. The scp command to move the keys to the clients failed unitl I found this one:

# ssh-copy-id -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub root@192.168.9.xx

I had to run this command seperately for each of my client computers but once complete my shutdown script worked great.

Now to get my Wake on lan to work and I will be a happy sysadmin.

Again thanks for responding. No one else seems to want to deal with trivial stuff like this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yes the clients are RHEL 5. The problem has been fixed. Thanks for your response. Turns out the previous sysadmin did not copy the keys correctly to the client machines. On our server I am only allowed ssh commands. The scp command to move the keys to the clients failed unitl I found this one:

# ssh-copy-id -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub root@192.168.9.xx

I had to run this command seperately for each of my client computers but once complete my shutdown script worked great.

Now to get my Wake on lan to work and I will be a happy sysadmin.

Again thanks for responding. No one else seems to want to deal with trivial stuff like this.