Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I am new here but am your average Linux user. I have built and configured my system numerous times with various ATI FGLRX iterations of drivers, however FC3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    Central Florida, Polk County, AKA Hurricane Alley

FGLRX & Xorg 6.8

Hello all, I am new here but am your average Linux user. I have built and configured my system numerous times with various ATI FGLRX iterations of drivers, however FC3 and Xorg 6.8 have kicked my butt. I found the statement that ATI/Xorg 6.8 have issues and that ATI will fix in the next driver however I cannot wait as I am an avid Americas Army player and ver 2.2.1 for linux has just come out. So I need to downgrade FC3 Xorg 6.8 to FC3 Xorg 6.7. That is the gist of my question, is there an easy way to do this as I don't want to have to pull all of those files individually, nor do I want to install every file individually? What I am hoping is that I can use Synaptic, Yum, or a simple RPM to downgrade Xorg 6.8 -> Xorg 6.7. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Linux Engineer
    dload the 6.7 xorg version and run this
    Code:
    rpm -Uvh --oldpackage <package_name>
    this will install an older package over a newer one...

Hope it helps
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Newbie
    I have tried several times to do this, and I always have trouble with package conflicts and dependencies.
    Does anyone know specifically which xorg packages need to be downgraded and which ones should be left alone?

Just Joined!
    Central Florida, Polk County, AKA Hurricane Alley

Xorg 6.7

I ended up downloading all of Xorg 6.7 RPM's and installing them 1 at a time except for the Mesa-libGL rpm which conflicts with fglrx. I then used synaptic to remove all of the Xorg 6.8 packages. But I still have a problem with the fglrx module compile. I am getting that infamous error about:
    ATI module generator V 2.0
    ==========================
    initializing...
    Error:
    XFree86 drm includes at /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.681_FC3/build/include/../drivers/char/drm do not fit this driver.
    This driver is designed to only work with X4.1.0 or higher.
    You can match this by getting Linux kernel 2.4.8 or higher.

I have patched my make file but still didn't resolve, can anyone help me here? I am running FC3 w/2.6.9 kernel.