Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am using fedora and want to know how can change the location of temp directory of tar command . In windows i used to change this location by ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

changing temporary location of tar temp files

Hi I am using fedora and want to know how can change the location of temp directory of tar command .
    In windows i used to change this location by winrar GUI preferences.

Linux Newbie
    I don't know if the is the extent of your question, the temp directory is /tmp.
    From the command line it would be
    tar jxfv xxx.tar.bz2 -C /tmp
    tar zxfv xxx.tar.gz -C /tmp

Linux Enthusiast
    The command "tar" does not create temporary files.

Just Joined!
    while untaring does the tar archive first untar the file in some temporary location (winrar does this and this location can be easily changed in Windoes). if indeed it does this how to change this location. I hope I am more clear this time

alf55 is right.
    tar does not need temporary files.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by kartikkg View Post
    while untaring does the tar archive first untar the file in some temporary location (winrar does this and this location can be easily changed in Windoes). if indeed it does this how to change this location. I hope I am more clear this time
    In that case I am clueless as I don't know anything about winrar and never encountered it - tar is tar and winrar is winrar.

If you need to see how tar works, check the man page and forget about how things work under Windows as Linux isn't a clone of Windows and has never intended to be. If anything Linux is a clone of Unix and skills are interchangeable - I've learned a lot about Linux from Solaris, AIX and other Unix systems and vice versa.

"tar xfv xxx.tar" will untar the file in the current directory, "tar xfv xxx.tar -C <whatever_directory_you_want>" untar's it to whatever directory you specify.