Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am a newbie to Linux therefore please pardon anything foolish I ask. I have purchased a Dedicated Server from a hosting company. It has two 1TB hard disks. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LVM on an Existing Server

Hi

I am a newbie to Linux therefore please pardon anything foolish I ask.

I have purchased a Dedicated Server from a hosting company. It has two 1TB hard disks. The hosting company has installed software RAID on this machine. Following is the output of df-h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/md0 904G 16G 843G 2% /
    tmpfs 5.9G 0 5.9G 0% /dev/shm

I want LVM on this machine. I can't ask this from my hosting company as it asks to pay $$$ for every small thing.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way that I can have software RAID installed with LVM? My purpose of RAID is to have redundancy. If one hard disk goes down the other one can take up.
    2. Is there a way that I can create LVM without re-installing the whole server? I have been given a rescue system by the hosting company.
    3. If the above are possible, how?

Thanks in advance,

Habib

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What is the output of the "mount" command (no arguments)?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hi Rubberman

Thanks for the reply. Here is the output:

/dev/md0 on / type ext4 (rw)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
    sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, this brings us to the question as to why you want LVM on this system. Do you plan on asking them to add storage capacity that you want to merge with the existing storage? In any case, you need to start the LVM when you install the system, or you can create an LVM on a partition on the drive, though it looks like they allocated all the space to the root file system. You can add volumes later once you have installed LVM. So, without access to the machine physically, you are kind of SOL unless you can get them to install LVM on the RAID volume, and initialize the ext4 file system on top of that. Alternatively, see if they can partition the volume into / and /home, with /home being an LVM that you can extend later.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Engineer
    My question is: Why is your hosting company setting you up with SW raid, if you have a dedicated server?

I would ask them detailed specifics on the hardware they are providing you. If they don't give you a straight answer, I would find another hosting company, because they're probably duping you.