Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a complete noob with Linux and need some assistance. Please pretend you're talking to a baby because I honestly find it very difficult to navigate. Basically, I run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up many servers on one machine

Hi, I'm a complete noob with Linux and need some assistance. Please pretend you're talking to a baby because I honestly find it very difficult to navigate.

Basically, I run many game servers. What I need to do is setup about 10 different game servers on the same machine but they need different IP addresses.

So, that's not too hard. I can just give each game server a different port right? That's one way of doing it, but I don't want to do it like that. tsg.net:1, tsg.net:2 etc etc.

I'd like to set it up like this: a.tsg.net, b.tsg.net. So to do that I assume I have to give each server a seperate IP address for the domain to forward to. I can setup a zones with my host and forward them to each address. But my question is, how do I setup different areas on the same machine with different IP addressses? Is this possible or should I revert to using different ports?

Thanks,
    Joel.

Running: Centos5

Linux Engineer
    Hello,

It's entirely possible to bind more than 1 ip to an interface in linux. Here's a brief article describing the process:
    HowTo Bind A Range Of IP’s in Debian / Ubuntu Linux

As far as running your game servers, I won't be able to help you with that. If your game servers have the ability to listen on a specific IP, then you should be good to go.

I would setup VM's and go from there. Each VM gets its own IP an the host machine interface acts like a bridge.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close