Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm on a CentOS 6.2 and I'm wondering, how do I change permissions to make files in a specific directory executable, how do I edit all the files in /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dealing with files in linux

I'm on a CentOS 6.2 and I'm wondering, how do I change permissions to make files in a specific directory executable, how do I edit all the files in /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo to add, for all repositories marked enabled=1, a line with priority=, and how do I save certain information into a file in linux and export it onto the internet?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by joao2000 View Post
    I'm on a CentOS 6.2 and I'm wondering, how do I change permissions to make files in a specific directory executable, how do I edit all the files in /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo to add, for all repositories marked enabled=1, a line with priority=, and how do I save certain information into a file in linux and export it onto the internet?
    chmod +x filename will make a file executable. If you want to make all files in a directory executable you can do:
    Code:
    chmod -R +x directoryname
    You'll need to write a script to your second task, as I imagine you want to set some priority order.

Regarding your third task, what sort of information, from stdout? from a file?

Just Joined!
    [QUOTE=manyrootsofallevil;889400]chmod +x filename will make a file executable. If you want to make all files in a directory executable you can do:
    Code:
    chmod -R +x directoryname
    Quote Originally Posted by manyrootsofallevil View Post
    You'll need to write a script to your second task, as I imagine you want to set some priority order.
    First of all thanks a lot for the answer.

Surely it can't be difficult? The fourth post in

h??ps://wxx.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=37145&start=0#forumpost1617 59

recommends me to reset the priority task of my repositories so that I cease to get 'no package found' at every 'yum install phpmyadmin' request I give. This would mean I'd have to write a script to reset the priorities there? Where would I start? Maybe I should get someone on fiverr to do it?

How is centos going to get anywhere if you have to write a script for this step.. when installing basics... because repositories with the basics aren't in their main repos!!

Quote Originally Posted by manyrootsofallevil View Post
    Regarding your third task, what sort of information, from stdout? from a file?
    I'm looking to create the getinfo.sh file in the guide below, and then put it in the centos pastebin as required in the centos forum

hxxp://wxx.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28723&forum=54

Linux Newbie
    If you want to install phpmyadmin, I suggest this Shameless plug or this another Shameless plug if you want a secure website.

Assuming that you have getinfo.sh and you have made it executable, then you could run it like this:
    Code:
    ./getinfo.sh > sysinfo.txt
    The output of getinfo.sh will be in sysinfo.txt