Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am running RHEL 6.2 64 bit os with EXT 4 file system. I am fairly new to linux but I am trying to find a best practice way ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RHEL 6.2 Rescue Image best practice

Hello,

I am running RHEL 6.2 64 bit os with EXT 4 file system.

I am fairly new to linux but I am trying to find a best practice way to backup my system in case of a failure.

Is there any software out there that will create a system backup or restore image or file in case of a failure?

I haven't researched in a while but I know there is software out there but it took like 5 hours to back it up and the compression was not good...backed up the whole 250 gb hd when I was really only using like 10gb.

Maybe I just do a backup of the files instead of creating an image?...not sure if that is a best practice or not?

I am used it windows and having something simple and automated to do this so I am not used to this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can use rsync, or if you want an entire current image of your discs, you can use something like dd to copy and compress an entire file system or physical disc (including boot sector/partition table) to an external backup drive. I use both methods. Every month I make a bit image of my system bood disc, and then use rsync to keep current copies of changed files in /usr, /opt, /lib, /etc, and such. Ask if you want more specific instructions.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Yes some details would be nice.

What would I need to get setup for rsync? Could I just use it to copy files to a centralized server through ssh? or would I need a rsync server setup?

How do you create a bit image of your system boot disk?

Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The rsync man page goes into that in quite a bit of detail. In any case, you can use it manually, as a cron job, or as a server. To create a bit image of your system drive, attach an external drive (esata or USB) with enough room to hold your compressed system disc. Make sure you put a Linux file system on it so it can deal with the big file(s) that you will create. Next, boot into a live/recovery CD/DVD/USB device so the system partitions are not mounted. Create a mount point for the external drive, such as /mnt/backups, mount the external file system there, then do this:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda ibs=1G | gzip -c >/mnt/backups/system-`date +%Y%m%d`.gz
    This will read the system drive in 1GB chunks, pipe that to the gzip command which will compress and copy that to the external file system into a file named (if done today) "system-20120504.gz". To restore that image to the system drive (assuming you had to replace it), you would do this:
    Code:
    gunzip -c /mnt/backups/system-20120504.gz | dd of=/dev/sda obs=1M
    You may note that the backup command reads in 1GB chunks, but the restore command writes in 1MB chunks. That is to maximize disc throughput. I have experimented quite a bit in the past, trying to find the "sweet spot", and these parameters work pretty well.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help.

What would you use for your live/recovery?

There are a few out there...cloneziller...systemrescuecd...

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by pkroetsch View Post
    Is there any software out there that will create a system backup or restore image or file in case of a failure?
    For creating system images and restoring them, I've used Clonezilla and FSArchiver without any problems.

I currently use FSArchiver exclusively to create and restore all my system images, and I always run it from a liveCD, such as Parted Magic, or SystemRescueCD. It takes about 3 or 4 minutes to create an image, and about 2 minutes when an image needs to be restored. My system might be lighter weight than yours, so it could take a little longer for your images to be created or restored.

Good luck to you with whatever backup method you choose.
    oz

I usually use a live CD/DVD of the distribution I am using for the system. In my case, that's Scientific Linux 6.2 (an RHEL 6.2 clone).