Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using a script in %pre that prompts for IP, hostname, etc. The answers are dumped out as variables and used to set up the config files in %post All ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Networking in kickstart

I'm using a script in %pre that prompts for IP, hostname, etc. The answers are dumped out as variables and used to set up the config files in %post All works well.

Now, it's being used to install the OS on an HP Proliant that's in a remote datacenter via iLO, and it takes about an hour to transfer all of the files over iLO. So I got clever, commented out "cdrom" and added url --url http://ip.of.my.yum.server/path/to/os/ Then, at the end of %pre, I added /sbin/ifconfig eth0 $IP netmask $NM up However... it appears that kickstart sees the "url" directive and therefore assumes that it must have networking RIGHT NOW! It tries DHCP, fails, then runs %pre. I'm not certain if it ever raises the interface or not, but it complains "Unable to read package metadata"

Is there a way to do what I want to do... NOT configure eth0 in kickstart, but the way I'm doing it, raise the interface, and install from a network source instead of the disc?

My suggestion would be to drop the script in %pre and instead provide IP/netmask/gw/dns/hostname via dhcp.
    The MAC address can be used to identify a specific network device.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    My suggestion would be to drop the script in %pre and instead provide IP/netmask/gw/dns/hostname via dhcp.
    The MAC address can be used to identify a specific network device.
    That isn't going to happen. It would make far too much sense.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close