Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a Centos 5.4 installed in my old PC, it contain Asterisk, web pages ..., how can i clone all system to my new PC, or to connect ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Clone HardDisk to another Pc

Hello,

I have a Centos 5.4 installed in my old PC, it contain Asterisk, web pages ..., how can i clone all system to my new PC, or to connect the old HardDisk to New PC?

Thx in advance

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by louk_88 View Post
    Hello,

I have a Centos 5.4 installed in my old PC, it contain Asterisk, web pages ..., how can i clone all system to my new PC, or to connect the old HardDisk to New PC?

Thx in advance
    You could export it as nfs share and then mount the share on your new server.

I've written a post detailing how to export an nfs share and another on how to mount nfs shares, here

Trusted Penguin
    another good solution is Clonezilla. it is a live linux boot cd that you use to boot your computer. i believe you need both disks physically attached to do it, but it works great, if that is not a deal breaker for you.

Just Joined!
    i can connect 2 disk in the new PC, so to install the Clonezilla i'm obliged to install it in the new HardDisk, can i do this?

Quote Originally Posted by louk_88 View Post
    i can connect 2 disk in the new PC, so to install the Clonezilla i'm obliged to install it in the new HardDisk, can i do this?
    It runs off the cd as a live session. No need to install it.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    ok, thank u, i will try it now

Just Joined!
    another way to easily copy a whole device if both plugged into the same pc:

dd if=/dev/source_hdd of=/dev/destination_hdd

If copying to a remote pc (and the destination is not the main hdd of the remote pc) you can also use ssh:
    dd if=/dev/local_source_hdd | ssh user@host dd of=/dev/remote_destination_hdd

The dd command will write all data including blank blocks. Also, if you have a 500gb hdd and copy to a 1tb hdd, then the 1tb will show formatted as a 500gb. works best when source and destination are same size.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by campalm View Post
    another way to easily copy a whole device if both plugged into the same pc:

dd if=/dev/source_hdd of=/dev/destination_hdd

If copying to a remote pc (and the destination is not the main hdd of the remote pc) you can also use ssh:
    dd if=/dev/local_source_hdd | ssh user@host dd of=/dev/remote_destination_hdd

The dd command will write all data including blank blocks. Also, if you have a 500gb hdd and copy to a 1tb hdd, then the 1tb will show formatted as a 500gb. works best when source and destination are same size.
    I believe clonezilla will also allow you to use dd to do the copying, if you choose (or if the filesystem is not fully supported).