Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an old computer I installed Fedora 16 on, and I noticed the command ifconfig reported things like em1 and p3p1 instead of eth0 and lo. I researched it, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Consistent Network Device Naming

I have an old computer I installed Fedora 16 on, and I noticed the command ifconfig reported things like em1 and p3p1 instead of eth0 and lo. I researched it, and I discovered that I could revert to the ethX by specifying biosdevname=0 on the linux command line. I did that and it did what it was supposed to. The problem is, I now realize how useful CNDN is, and I would like to get it back, but I can not figure out how. I removed the biosdevname=0 from the linux command-line, and rebooted, and no CNDN. I specified biosdevname=1, but it was still eth0 and eth1. I also tried yum reinstall udev biosdevname kernel and it did not fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Trusted Penguin
    you might need to remove the udev rule for network devices, if it was created. check here:

Code:
    /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    if it exists, move it some place else and reboot.

also, check the network config files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*

they may need to be renamed, after the kernel hopefully properly enumerates the device names from the previous step.

this Dell document may provide some further clues.