Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI Guys I am trying to install Fedora Core 3 onto my laptop. I have a 60GB hardrive, partion magic 8.0 installed and a copy of fedora core 3 ready ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Fedora User needs help!

HI Guys

I am trying to install Fedora Core 3 onto my laptop. I have a 60GB hardrive, partion magic 8.0 installed and a copy of fedora core 3 ready to go. The Laptop is brand new, i would like to christen with Linux/XP pro dual boot. What is the correct way to Partion the drives to allow Fedora to mount.I have Run Fedora from CD numerous time and evertime i get to the Disk setup part i can not alocate a partition for Linux. Now i have created two sepearte partions one for windows (already installed and one for Fedora) but Fedora only sees the full space of the Hard drive. Please can someone put me out of my Misery. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

Linux Engineer
    **Moved to RedHat/Fedora

Please do *not* post questions in the HOWTO's/Reference Material forum. That is for essays, tutorials, and other online learning tools *only*.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Newbie
    i believe there are 2 options on boot, auto-partition, or manual partition. i am not sure what you have tried or not tried, but try manual partition, i do not see why it would not see both partitions. if not, i think you can "create new partion" or something, but again, i am not sure, i dont have the FC3 installation setup in front of me.
    http://fedora.rehat.com

$> man woman
    $> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Just Joined!

Partitioning for Fedora 3

I have been using partition magic split my windows install down. But when it gets to the Fedora 3 disk set up and i select automatically partion drives all sees it the hda1 which is 60GB. Now in partion magig it gives me options to crate ext2,ext3,linux swap. Do i use these options to create the logical drives.?Any advice of the sizes of each partition i should create addtionally what does swap and ext2 ext 3 do? what is the equivilant in Windows talk?

There must be a typical way that i can divide the C into th correct partitions!

Linux Enthusiast
    First, don't refer to drives by drive letter. That's an annoying thing that ONLY windows does- not a single other os on earth does that, as far as i know.
    Second:
    ext2/ext3 are the standard filesystems for Linux. So is reiserfs.
    swap is sortof of like the virtual ram in windows. It should be about double your ram.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050