Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a website which is developed using client side scripting. I need only authorized users to access the website using a login name and password. Since, it is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Client authorization using LDAP?

Hi, I have a website which is developed using client side scripting. I need only authorized users to access the website using a login name and password.
    Since, it is client side scripting, I cannot use mysql database for storing the user details (such as login name and password).

So how can I allow only authorized users to access my site. I searched on the internet and found that i can do it using apache web login authentication. But again there are many ways to do it.

One is using .htaccess and .htpasswd files. But this is not strong method and anyone having moderate knowledge can crack it.

Second one is using LDAP for apache authentication

Third one is using NIS

I would like to know which method would be best for implementing this? And how should i go about it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I would like to add that I am using RHEL 5.6 and apache 2.2

Linux Newbie
    I would suggest using LDAP for Apache. There are tons of walkthroughs for setting this up, and having an LDAP set up will make user management easier later on. This way you can set up groups with access and then when people change out it is as simple as replicating the person they are replacing's account.
    Linux Tutorial - Apache Web Login Authentication:

Just Joined!
    Thanks, Ktech11 for your help and suggestions I will implement LDAP on my server..

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by amit_1 View Post
    Thanks, Ktech11 for your help and suggestions I will implement LDAP on my server..
    No problem. If you need help getting it setup, let me know.