Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone, Can anyone let me know how to make minimal boot.iso from rhl6 installation dvd iso image. I have a dvd image with me but i want to make ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to make boot.iso image from rhel6 installation dvd iso ?

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone let me know how to make minimal boot.iso from rhl6 installation dvd iso image. I have a dvd image with me but i want to make just a minimal boot media. Somehow it is not shipped with dvd iso. I know we can download boot.iso from redhat site but is there any anyway we can make it of our own.

Thanks in advance.
    Rohit

Trusted Penguin
    are you trying to build a RHEL install DVD with just a subset of all the RPMS, or are you literally trying to duplicate the boot.iso, or are you trying to do something else (some custom mini-ISO)?

If the first case:

1. mount the DVD to a local directory
    2. make a local directory that will be your new ISO base
    3. rsync the contents of the mounted DVD dir to the new ISO base dir, leaving out the RPMS you don't want
    4. use mkisofs to create a bootable ISO image. here's an example command:
    Code:
    mkisofs -o /path/to/isofile.iso         \
              -b isolinux/isolinux.bin      \
              -c isolinux/isolinux.cat      \
              -no-emul-boot                 \
              -boot-load-size 4             \
              -boot-info-table              \
              -l -r -J -v                   \
              -allow-lowercase              \
              -V "my volume id"             \
              /path/to/ISO_base/
    you can get copies of the isolinux.bin file from the syslinux package. read the mkisofs manpage for explanations of the other switches.

If the second case, download the boot.iso and mount it, then continue with the above steps.

If the third case, make your new ISO base directory as above, then populate it how you wish, but make sure you have a bootable kernel, etc. - then use the mkisofs command.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    are you trying to build a RHEL install DVD with just a subset of all the RPMS, or are you literally trying to duplicate the boot.iso, or are you trying to do something else (some custom mini-ISO)?

If the first case:

1. mount the DVD to a local directory
    2. make a local directory that will be your new ISO base
    3. rsync the contents of the mounted DVD dir to the new ISO base dir, leaving out the RPMS you don't want
    4. use mkisofs to create a bootable ISO image. here's an example command:
    Code:
    mkisofs -o /path/to/isofile.iso         \
              -b isolinux/isolinux.bin      \
              -c isolinux/isolinux.cat      \
              -no-emul-boot                 \
              -boot-load-size 4             \
              -boot-info-table              \
              -l -r -J -v                   \
              -allow-lowercase              \
              -V "my volume id"             \
              /path/to/ISO_base/
    you can get copies of the isolinux.bin file from the syslinux package. read the mkisofs manpage for explanations of the other switches.

If the second case, download the boot.iso and mount it, then continue with the above steps.

If the third case, make your new ISO base directory as above, then populate it how you wish, but make sure you have a bootable kernel, etc. - then use the mkisofs command.
    Here is what i am exactly trying to do. I have a DVD iso image but that DVD do not contain boot.iso image. Now i want to make a seperate boot.iso image from this DVD image without downloading the image from RedHat's website and then buring it.

Trusted Penguin
    i don't have an RHEL login, so I can't download the boot.iso and look at it. There is no ISO named "boot.iso" over at CentOS either, though there is a "netinstall" and a "minimal" ISO, but not sure if they're the same. But there is "SL-60-i386-2011-03-03-boot.iso" over at Scientific Linux (another RHEL clone, in case you're not familiar w/them), which does sound promising. It is 145MB. I downloaded it and mounted it, here are the contents:
    Code:
    [root@localhost /mnt/iso]# find /mnt/iso -type f -exec du -sk {} \;
    115836  /mnt/iso/images/install.img
    27929   /mnt/iso/images/pxeboot/initrd.img
    1       /mnt/iso/images/pxeboot/TRANS.TBL
    3581    /mnt/iso/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz
    1       /mnt/iso/images/TRANS.TBL
    2       /mnt/iso/isolinux/boot.cat
    1       /mnt/iso/isolinux/boot.msg
    1       /mnt/iso/isolinux/grub.conf
    27929   /mnt/iso/isolinux/initrd.img
    14      /mnt/iso/isolinux/isolinux.bin
    1       /mnt/iso/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
    29      /mnt/iso/isolinux/splash.jpg
    2       /mnt/iso/isolinux/TRANS.TBL
    145     /mnt/iso/isolinux/vesamenu.c32
    3581    /mnt/iso/isolinux/vmlinuz
    Does this look like what you are after? If so, you could use your RHEL install DVD as a source and copy the above files to a new directory, then use the mkisofs command as I instructed above. Not really sure if this would work, as I don't know if the kernel files (initrd.img and vmlinuz in the isolinux dir) are the same in the boot.iso as they are in the install DVD. Also the install.img file might be different, too.

but if you can't d/l the boot.iso from RHEL in the first place, i don't know how you expect to verify the actual contents of a custom boot.iso.
    Last edited by atreyu; 05-24-2012 at 03:49 AM. Reason: added SL link

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    i don't have an RHEL login, so I can't download the boot.iso and look at it. There is no ISO named "boot.iso" over at CentOS either, though there is a "netinstall" and a "minimal" ISO, but not sure if they're the same. But there is "SL-60-i386-2011-03-03-boot.iso" over at Scientific Linux (another RHEL clone, in case you're not familiar w/them), which does sound promising. It is 145MB. I downloaded it and mounted it, here are the contents:
    Code:
    [root@localhost /mnt/iso]# find /mnt/iso -type f -exec du -sk {} \;
    115836  /mnt/iso/images/install.img
    27929   /mnt/iso/images/pxeboot/initrd.img
    1       /mnt/iso/images/pxeboot/TRANS.TBL
    3581    /mnt/iso/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz
    1       /mnt/iso/images/TRANS.TBL
    2       /mnt/iso/isolinux/boot.cat
    1       /mnt/iso/isolinux/boot.msg
    1       /mnt/iso/isolinux/grub.conf
    27929   /mnt/iso/isolinux/initrd.img
    14      /mnt/iso/isolinux/isolinux.bin
    1       /mnt/iso/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
    29      /mnt/iso/isolinux/splash.jpg
    2       /mnt/iso/isolinux/TRANS.TBL
    145     /mnt/iso/isolinux/vesamenu.c32
    3581    /mnt/iso/isolinux/vmlinuz
    Does this look like what you are after? If so, you could use your RHEL install DVD as a source and copy the above files to a new directory, then use the mkisofs command as I instructed above. Not really sure if this would work, as I don't know if the kernel files (initrd.img and vmlinuz in the isolinux dir) are the same in the boot.iso as they are in the install DVD. Also the install.img file might be different, too.

but if you can't d/l the boot.iso from RHEL in the first place, i don't know how you expect to verify the actual contents of a custom boot.iso.

Hi,

Yeah i am familiar with CentOS and SL, well i didn't downloaded the image from Redhat's website and verified with what i have made. But it certainly worked for me i mean i made the ISO image using mkisofs as per the guidelines you told and it was really helpful.

Thanks for taking out your valuable time and helping me out. I really appreciate that.

Thanks,
    Rohit

Trusted Penguin
    glad (and a little surprised) it worked!