Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All! I'm working on getting my VPS server setup to start hosting client's websites. However, I am having issues getting VSFTP/proftpd to work. First off, I've tried EVERY guide ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CentOS 6 - Proper FTP setup

Hello All!

I'm working on getting my VPS server setup to start hosting client's websites. However, I am having issues getting VSFTP/proftpd to work.

First off, I've tried EVERY guide on the internet. Nothing works, so somewhere, somehow, I am doing something wrong.

I'm not a absolute linux noob, but I'm not a linux expert. I do work on linux servers all day at my job, and my main computer is a linux laptop. The thing is I don't do things like setting up, just managing them... so halp.

Right now I am going to wipe my VPS completely clean. I want to setup my VPS to have a FTP software that uses, preferably, MySQL for the backend. It doesn't matter, though. As a side note, I don't want to use webmin because I feel it is unnecessary resources being wasted on my server.

Any guides on getting a fresh CentOS 6 x64 server running as following: (1) /websites/$USER$/, (2) FTP users locked to /websites/user, (3) easiest/way to add a user, doesn't matter if they get basic ssh access

My work has it setup like that somewhat, except they put in:
    /vservers/$USER$/htdocs
    /vservers/$USER$/etc/
    /vservers/$USER$/logs
    etc etc

I'd like a similar setup to that, because I will be hosting websites for people and after I design & build them I want to give them FTP access.

If anyone can help me or point me in the proper direction please do!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by maack View Post
    Hello All!

I'm working on getting my VPS server setup to start hosting client's websites. However, I am having issues getting VSFTP/proftpd to work.

First off, I've tried EVERY guide on the internet. Nothing works, so somewhere, somehow, I am doing something wrong.

I'm not a absolute linux noob, but I'm not a linux expert. I do work on linux servers all day at my job, and my main computer is a linux laptop. The thing is I don't do things like setting up, just managing them... so halp.

Right now I am going to wipe my VPS completely clean. I want to setup my VPS to have a FTP software that uses, preferably, MySQL for the backend. It doesn't matter, though. As a side note, I don't want to use webmin because I feel it is unnecessary resources being wasted on my server.

Any guides on getting a fresh CentOS 6 x64 server running as following: (1) /websites/$USER$/, (2) FTP users locked to /websites/user, (3) easiest/way to add a user, doesn't matter if they get basic ssh access

My work has it setup like that somewhat, except they put in:
    /vservers/$USER$/htdocs
    /vservers/$USER$/etc/
    /vservers/$USER$/logs
    etc etc

I'd like a similar setup to that, because I will be hosting websites for people and after I design & build them I want to give them FTP access.

If anyone can help me or point me in the proper direction please do!
    I got VSFTPD working. However, I have a question. When I create a new user, it creates:
    /home/$user$/
    How can I have it setup to linux to the users own php.ini, and the users website logs, and things like that? So it would look like:

/home/$user$/logs/
    /home/$user$/etc/
    /home/$user$/htdocs/

And so on?

Trusted Penguin
    check out the manpage of useradd (which is what I assume you are using to add new users). the -k option allows you to pass to the useradd command a path (/etc/skel, by default) containing custom files/dirs to be copied to the $HOME path of the new user.