Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, We have a single board computer (SBC) that includes a PLX 9656. These systems initially ran UNIX, Solaris 10 X86, now they must migrate to Red Hat Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help on PCI9656 Linux Driver for UART access

Hello All,

We have a single board computer (SBC) that includes a PLX 9656. These systems initially ran UNIX, Solaris 10 X86, now they must migrate to Red Hat Linux 6.2. Under UNIX all I/O was functional. We’ve found that with Linux installed, all I/O is good EXCEPT two RS232 serial ports whose UART resides on local bus under a PLX PCI 9656. The OEM of the SBC no longer is capable to support, so it’s up to us to support this design, which incorporates the PLX 9656.

RH Linux 6.2 detects the PLX 9656 but doesn’t attach a driver for it, Linux does not detect the DUART (Exar XR16L2551) located on local bus under the 9656. I really need to be able to talk to the serial ports under the PCI9656 via Red Hat Linux. I have to assume a Linux driver for same/similar implementation exists?

Please help.
    Thanks in advance.
    Amy

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If you haven't already solved this, I think that you will have to adapt a standard UART driver to your needs. Have you used the kernel configuration tools to see if it is supported (menuconfig, xconfig)? On my RH 6.x system I only find support for this related device - ST16C554/554D Quad UART (SERIAL_8250_EXAR_ST16C554). You may be able to adapt the driver for that to your needs...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your advice. I got help for UART technical support already.
    Amy