Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a newbie, I found a redhat version 8 that my girlfriend dlded 2 years ago, I installed it today, but after installation a blue screen appears with 2 words ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

after install

I'm a newbie,
    I found a redhat version 8 that my girlfriend dlded 2 years ago, I installed it today, but after installation a blue screen appears with 2 words in strange signs to choose from, if I choose one , I need to give in a local host logon, now I feel that it is a stupid question but I realy don't know it, what do I have to fill in there?
    I only gave in a password in the installation, no username.
    Can someone help me out?

if you are being presented with the standard Linux logon screen, then you should enter the username and password that you created during install. If you did not create a normal user at install, shame on you (go stand in the corner and think about what you've done ).

What you need to do is login as the root user (please note that the userid is all in lower case - ie. no capitals. Linux is a case senseitive operating system). The password is the one that you setup during install.

Once in, please create a "normal" userid for your everyday use. The root (also known as superuser) userid is there for admin use (adding new userids, adding software, configuring, that sort of thing).

have fun, and seriously consider upgrading to Redhat 9 or Fedora Core 2 or 3, as Redhat 8 is a bit old.

Nerderello

ps. Merry Christmas

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

I can't remember if “8” has you enter regular username before or after installation.

Just type in “root” without the quotes and press enter. It will then ask for root's password. Enter it and press enter. If this takes you to the Gnome desktop environment, open a terminal and type:

redhat-config-users

And press enter. This utility will allow you to create a username and password for yourself. It's pretty easy to follow. After you do this, “log out,” which is in your menu at the bottom. Then type in your new username and password and press enter. This should take you to your regular user Gnome desktop.

If you have any problems, or what I've suggested doesn't adequately address your problem, please post back and let us know.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Nerderello
    if you are being presented with the standard Linux logon screen, then you should enter the username and password that you created during install. If you did not create a normal user at install, shame on you (go stand in the corner and think about what you've done ).
    Nerderello, that enhances my memory. Redhat 8 does ask for username during installation and before reboot. I also remember, that if you're not careful during the "8" install, you can miss that part entirely. I missed it a few times myself!

Just Joined!
    thanx people,
    I'm in now,
    it is running fine,
    I want to update to redhat 9 but I need to fix my internet connection
    in linux for that, and for a newbie that is not so easy
    I dld kppp but the extension is .deb
    and I receive a message that nautilus can not open it.
    Suggestions?

Just Joined!
    deb is a Debain package, not sure if there is a extension that allows Red Hat to use debs.
    You need a rpm package from the command line do "man rpm"
    it may also be a good idea to enter the following as well as somtimes rpm's can be tared or compressed or both (tar balled)

man tar
    man gzip
    man bzip2

or just google those terms as sometimes man pages can be a bit confusing at first

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you get kppp as part of Redhat 8's rendition of KDE.

If not, you can always use "wvdial"

have fun

Nerderello
    ps. if you intend to use a PCI (internal card) modem, then read up on "winmodems" and their Linux counterparts "linmodems".

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

You should have kppp on the RH8 install disks. Open the RH package manger and look for it, I believe, in the KDE section. You'll have to install a lot of other KDE stuff too.
    I like wvdial. It's command line, but very simple to configure and operate, with no bloat.