Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GCC, OPENSSL and Curl Installation

Hi guys, I got a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.2 (Tikanga), I need curl to be installed in my server. I was searching over the net and it says i need openssl to be installed first. I have found an instruction to install openssl and curl in my server but when i run the command to install open SSL, it says i need to install GCC first. How do i do it?

Yum is not working in my server. There are a lot of instruction in the net, that the easiest way is to use yum. But, i don't have access to yum, maybe the hosting server doesn't give us the rights to do it.

I run: (I have to replace at because the system doesnt allow me to post)

Code:
    root_at_host[~]# system-config-packages &
    [1] 20777
    root_at_host [~]# Unable to import modules.  Maybe you're not running under X?
    root_at_host [~]# rpm
    RPM version 4.4.2
    Copyright (C) 1998-2002 - Red Hat, Inc.
    This program may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU GPL
    What else do i need to do so i can successfully configure my server to run CURL?

Will this command install GCC in my server:

Code:
    mkdir ~/src
    cd ~/src
    wget mirrors-us.seosue.com/gcc/releases/gcc-4.7.0/gcc-4.7.0.tar.gz
    tar -xzf gcc-4.7.0.tar.gz
    cd gcc-4.7.0
    ./configure 
    make
    make install
    I have to remove the http coz the system wont allow me too.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    That error shows that you are trying to run a GUI app in the command line. To install curl, gcc and openssl try
    Code:
    yum install curl gcc openssl

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    That error shows that you are trying to run a GUI app in the command line. To install curl, gcc and openssl try
    Code:
    yum install curl gcc openssl
    I don't have the yum access. This is the output when i run yum pastebin.com/szR670qQ . I run rhn_register but it asked me username and password but i dont have it.

Is there no other way to install GCC, OPENSSL and Curl without using yum?

I only have shell access root.

If you have ISO image of the RHEL 5.2 , mount it and , try installing the curl , gcc , openssl .
    So whenever package fails for the dependecies packages , Grab it from the mounted ISO , If not present , You can try finding it from this portal rpmfind.net

Philix

Quote Originally Posted by philix View Post
    If you have ISO image of the RHEL 5.2 , mount it and , try installing the curl , gcc , openssl .
    So whenever package fails for the dependecies packages , Grab it from the mounted ISO , If not present , You can try finding it from this portal rpmfind.net

Philix
    Hi, Philix thanks for the response. I can't seem to open rpmfind.net. I don't have the ISO image of RHEL. Is there any other link which i could find? If ever i can find out, can i just download it and install it with the same command i did above?

I have found this link rpm.pbone.net/index.php3 for rpm, but i dont know which one to download. This is my distro Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.2 (Tikanga), and its i686.

The packages curl, gcc and openssl are part of the default repository from redhat.
    It is only available via a valid subscription.

So either
    1) go to the redhat website and buy a subscription
    2) install a redhat clone, such as centos or scientific linux.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    The packages curl, gcc and openssl are part of the default repository from redhat.
    It is only available via a valid subscription.

So either
    1) go to the redhat website and buy a subscription
    2) install a redhat clone, such as centos or scientific linux.
    I think we are already subscribe but we just forgot the access, can we probably request a new one. I checked in through SSH, there is already RHEL installed.