Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to add my linux (redhat 5.3) box to windows domain(server 200 , so that the users on windows can login to my linux box. i hav tried winbind ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

windows user problem

I want to add my linux (redhat 5.3) box to windows domain(server 200, so that the users on windows can login to my linux box.
    i hav tried winbind i can see the list of users using wbinfo -u..
    but when i try to login to the server (ssh), i m not getting authenticated.

any help in this regard will be appreciated.

thnks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Adding your Linux box to your windows domain controller will only help for your Linux users to access your windows systems, usually using the CIFS file system protocols (samba client). If you want your users to have ssh access to Linux, then you need to provide them with ssh clients. There are a number of free ones available for Windows, including Putty. Since you mention winbind, are you sure your samba server on Linux is properly configured? This is the most common issue, especially when working in an AD environment. Also, RHEL 5.3 is quite dated. It may be part of the problem. What version of Samba is it running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Unhappy a bit different situation now

I upgraded the server to rhel6, now the system has been added to the domain, and al the user list is showing us using command wbinfo -u , getent passwd.

All the domain users are able to login to the server but now the problem is, local users of the machine except root are not able to ssh the server but domain users are able to login.

in /var/log/secure i m getting following error

Jun 9 15:28:31 rhel1 sshd[2066]: pam_winbind(sshd:account): valid_user: wbcGetpwnam gave WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
    Jun 9 15:28:31 rhel1 sshd[2067]: fatal: Access denied for user amit by PAM account configuration
    Jun 9 15:28:31 rhel1 sshd[2066]: Failed password for amit from ::1 port 55919 ssh2

I want to configure this in a way so that local as well as windows domain usrs both should be able to login to the server.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by riturajs View Post
    I upgraded the server to rhel6, now the system has been added to the domain, and al the user list is showing us using command wbinfo -u , getent passwd.

All the domain users are able to login to the server but now the problem is, local users of the machine except root are not able to ssh the server but domain users are able to login.

in /var/log/secure i m getting following error

Jun 9 15:28:31 rhel1 sshd[2066]: pam_winbind(sshd:account): valid_user: wbcGetpwnam gave WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
    Jun 9 15:28:31 rhel1 sshd[2067]: fatal: Access denied for user amit by PAM account configuration
    Jun 9 15:28:31 rhel1 sshd[2066]: Failed password for amit from ::1 port 55919 ssh2

I want to configure this in a way so that local as well as windows domain usrs both should be able to login to the server.
    Ok. A couple of steps forward. I'm not sure (I'm not a professional Linux systems admin), but I think that you are missing something in your security setup. What is your SELinux configuration? And are your using IPtables to secure your Linux servers?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    thanks for the problm was with PAM, in file system-auth under /etc.pam.d , just needed to add :

account sufficient pam_localuser.so

thnx