Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have three different systems all using 3c905bx NICs. One running RH 7.2, one 7.3 and one Fedora Core 1. All of these systems have been running fine for 10 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

3C905 Cards

I have three different systems all using 3c905bx NICs. One running RH 7.2, one 7.3 and one Fedora Core 1. All of these systems have been running fine for 10 months to 3 years. About 3 weeks ago, all of them suddenly developed problems with the NIC. The NIC seems to be functioning correctly, but I cannot ping my default router, resolve any other hosts or obtain a dhcp address.
    Has anyone else expeirenced anything simillar?

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    Usualy something doesnt just "stop" working... were there any upgrade, new software installed, did you simply move the cpu to another location, have you tried another NIC into the same PC to see the result...

Please follow up
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Newbie
    You said seems to be? Have you tried replaceing tha NIC just to make sure? Unless you're config file got wacked I would point to the NIC card. Dont pass little things to like THE CABLE. I was having problems once and it turned out it was my damn cable. Out of all things a RJ45 plug was loose and all I had to do was reclamp it. If you have already tried those please tell.

Just Joined!
    I completely agree, things don't generally just stop working but in this case it did. I have not changed any configuration files or made any updates. I was using the web browser, (firefox) on one of the systems, the Core 1, when I reloaded a page it came up unresolved. I have not yet changed out the NICs on any of the systems, since it is affecting all three I thought it may be a known bug. I will follow up with more information, log files dumps etc, ASAP.

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    First thing to check...
    can you ping known domain,
    is your physical setup ok
    did you try different rj-5 cables
    did you reboot
    try rebooting router
    can you ping inside the network

ok ill stop here....
    my years of troubleshooting in a call center must be for something in my procedures :P
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Newbie
    since it is affecting all three I thought it may be a known bug
    Sorry, I did not know it was on 3 comp. diffently check the cable then. And as said above reboot the router. If it is indeed a bug, are you up to date? You set up a dhcp right... check the config file. Just cause you did not change it does not mean it has not changed. I seen problems where it does not update its self right when changes are made.

Just Joined!
    The problem is affecting all 3 systems in different places, one at home, one at my desk at work and one in the lab at work. I've checked the cables and ports on the hubs, I have link lights but no activity.

Just Joined!
    Ugo

I cannot ping the domain or my default router.
    The physical setup is good and had been working without problems.
    I have tried different cables on one of the systems.
    I did reboot
    I did reboot one of the routers.
    I cannot ping inside the network.

Linux Engineer
    Did you try connecting directly to internet from one computer... no router?