Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok seems like ive run into something weird with pam authentication and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I have a RHEL5 system authentication against a ActiveDirectory Win2003R2 server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Starnge LDAP behaviour in RHEL5

Ok seems like ive run into something weird with pam authentication and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I have a RHEL5 system authentication against a ActiveDirectory Win2003R2 server and everything seems to work fine. However, when i change the case of the user (using id), i get different group results. Basically:

[root@snaptrap ~]# id sde
    uid=6100(SDE) gid=502(domain) groups=502(domain)
    [root@snaptrap ~]# id SDE
    uid=6100(SDE) gid=502(domain) groups=502(domain),7000(Linux_Users)
    uid=5000(brian.omahony) gid=502(domain) groups=502(domain),7000(Linux_Users),7001(Linux_Ad mins),7002(svngroup)
    [root@snaptrap ~]# id BRIAN.OMAHONY
    uid=5000(brian.omahony) gid=502(domain) groups=502(domain)

Thing is, the SDE account was created in windows using capitals, and my account was created in lowercase.

I also have an onrunning issue where anyone that was added to Active directory AFTER we added our first Win2k3 server in 2007 doesnt show when I do a "getent passwd", but ofc they show up when i do an "id user".....

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Windoze is much more case-insensitive than Linux/Unix. I think that until your change one or the other to upper or lowercase to match, that you are likely SOL (or sol, if you wish)...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!