Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I have RHEL DVD and I want to install it from usb key. I copy iso file to usb key: dd if=../rhel-server-6.2-x86_64-dvd.iso of=/dev/sdi But I can't boot from usb ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Can't install RHEL from USB disk

Hello!
    I have RHEL DVD and I want to install it from usb key. I copy iso file to usb key:

dd if=../rhel-server-6.2-x86_64-dvd.iso of=/dev/sdi

But I can't boot from usb key Is any special trick to make RHEL boot from usb key?

PS:If I burn this image to DVD disk, boot and install is OK.

Trusted Penguin
    i don't think you can create it that way. take a look at this walk-through of how to make a bootable USB disk for RHEL/CentOS/Fedora. you may need to change a couple path names, etc., but it should get you there.

Linux Create A Bootable USB Pen

post back here if you have problems.

Just Joined!
    thanks, it was very interesting.
    But why for the first syslinux installed, and after all grub installed? Why two bootloaders are requered?
    Last edited by sluge; 06-05-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by sluge View Post
    But why for the first syslinux installed, and after all grub installed? Why two bootloaders are requered?
    it might meant to make it more resilient in being able to boot on various host machines, from a USB-as-boot-device perspective. Syslinux is installed to sdb1 (first partition) and grub is installed to sdb (the MBR), so they can co-exist. so some systems may see the USB disk as a "USB Floppy/DVD" and attempt to boot via the syslinux/FAT filesystem on sdb1, and others may see the USB disk as a true hard drive and thus boot from the MBR on sdb.