Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody! I'm new on this forum, and quite new to Linux too (got my first Ubuntu almost a year ago thanks to university). I currently have a problem about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Dual booting with grub2

Hi everybody! I'm new on this forum, and quite new to Linux too (got my first Ubuntu almost a year ago thanks to university).

I currently have a problem about dual booting: my current distro is Fedora 17 Desktop Edition (Gnome 3), installed via DVD. I also have a Windows 7 (urgh) installed, both for my mother and for when I have to use some specific software to do things such as video editing or making.

The problem is a conflict between different boot loaders: when I first reinstalled Windows for usual hard drive hoarding problems, I got the classic handicapped Bill Gates' boot loader, with only Windows 7 and a "previous installed version of Windows" options, the last one obviously directing to nothing, so I added the Fedora voice manually with EasyBCD. This does not take me to Fedora directly, but to Fed's grub2, with both Fedora and Windows options, plus a third voice containing advanced options for Fedora booting (such as recovery mode).

My issue is I want to bypass Windows bootloader and immediately get to grub2 at startup. Thus not for the double boot menu I have to endure everytime I want to start my computer with a decent OS, but for the fact that, if Windows had been Hibernated on last shutdown, the guy would bypass the menu itself and directly resume the session making impossible to choose Fedora. For now I put "Shutdown" as the option performed by pressing the button, so that my mother wouldn't hibernate it, but I obviously can't keep it this way.

I already said EasyBCD to skip Boot Loader, and I almost had to install Windows back again (thank god I found the installation DVD to make a boot restore), as the option "Windows 7" in grub2 does not bring me to Win, but to its boot loader (just as Win's does with Fedora, making it a never-ending circle). So, after having selected Fed as predefinite option and disabled the boot menu, I could not enter Windows as its option would direct me to its boot loader, disabled with Fedora's grub2 as automatic choice, and back and forth again.

With Ubuntu I didn't have this problem as, probably because now I'm using a separate BOOT partition under docs.fedoraproject advice, I directly had grub at startup, with a Win option bringing me to Windows and not his boot loader.

I already made some changes to grub2 settings (such as timeout) by modifying the file /etc/default/grub and updating grub.cfg through the command "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg", but through that file I can't edit the selectable voices, only grub's running settings.

Anybody can tell me what to do to make grub2 directly going to Windows, instead of its bootmenu?

Linux Guru
    What you would need to do is to install the Fedora bootloader to the master boot record. That would boot initially to Fedora Grub and give you Fedora/windows options. Enter this in a terminal as root user, that is if you only have one hard drive - sda?:

grub2-install /dev/sda
    Some info at the Fedora forums link below. You could run the fdisk -l (lower case Letter L in the command) command to get drive/partition information to make sure you install to the correct drive or post that info here if you have more than one drive.

installing grub2 to MBR, looking to do this correctly. - FedoraForum.org

While Yancek is right about installing GRUB2.
    The only other thing you need to consider is if your trying to install grub from a liveCD/DVD things become a little more complex. But that shouldn't be an issue if you can boot in Fedora.

I find a better guide to grub2 which i always use is:
    GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial

It is a really good tutorial for learning the basics of GRUB2 or legacy GRUB.

Thankie to both for replying. Sorry for the delay of my answer, but it's June, the exam month, so I'll let you guess.

I first of all ran fdisk -l command and got these entries

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xe14ae14a

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 2048 105066495 52532224 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2 * 105066504 896275488 395604492+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 896276480 896788479 256000 83 Linux
    /dev/sda4 896788480 976773167 39992344 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 896790528 900886527 2048000 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda6 900888576 976773119 37942272 83 Linux

I reckon that:

• sda1 is the C: partition, the one with Windows OS and programs
    • sda2 is the D: partition, the one with music, videos, various documents and backup files, the ones that must survive through billions and more formattings
    • sda3 is the Linux boot partition
    • sda5 is the swap partition
    • sda6 is the Fedora OS and programs one.
    • sda4 is the one containing the previous two (too noob to realize how and why Linux organize partitions, but it always did like this, putting the boot partition on its own and the other two as sub-units of an unique one)

I proceeded by installing grub on the boot partition, but I got the following error:

root@Dude Dude]# grub2-install /dev/sda3
    /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
    /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
    /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

I was now reading the detailed grub guide, I'll let you know what I get out of it.
    Last edited by HisDudeness; 06-19-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Grammar error