Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey All! I have a question I am hoping someone can answer. I have an iSCSi target setup with an initiator which connects. I am simply exporting /dev/sda4 on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

iSCSi Assistance

Hey All!

I have a question I am hoping someone can answer.

I have an iSCSi target setup with an initiator which connects. I am simply exporting /dev/sda4 on the target to the initiator. No LVM involved. What we would like to do is have the ability to mount /dev/sda4 locally on the target without shutting down any of the iscsi services or disconnecting the initiator.

I have read a few things stating a loop device could be used but still unsure.

We are using the iscsi target as storage for tapes which we bring down from our clients for testing purposes. After we bring down a tape to the target we then need to make 2 copies of the data. If we could run those copies directly on the target it would really speed things up.

I have a feeling this is not possible as it causes file corruption, but hey it worth asking! Have a good one all and I appreciate any and all input.

Hmm, maybe if you "plug" drbd inbetween?

Never tried that, but you should be able to create an identical device (similar to a raid1), even on another machine via network if necessary.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Or simpler:
    Create a softraid 1 with mdadm and the devices sda4 and <another device>.
    You can then
    - --fail and --remove <another device>
    - get your copies from <another device>
    - and --add it again

But then again: This will introduce an overhead of resyncing everytime, so maybe not the best idea..
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.