Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey Guys, we will be very interested in learning from your experiences on using Red Hat Virtualization. I am still trying to understand how does VMware and Red Hat Virtualization ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VMware and Red Hat Virtualization

Hey Guys, we will be very interested in learning from your experiences on using Red Hat Virtualization. I am still trying to understand how does VMware and Red Hat Virtualization fit with each other. Has anyone been on projects where the customer is using both ? and any experiences you may have had

Just Joined!

What exactly are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith111 View Post
    Hey Guys, we will be very interested in learning from your experiences on using Red Hat Virtualization. I am still trying to understand how does VMware and Red Hat Virtualization fit with each other. Has anyone been on projects where the customer is using both ? and any experiences you may have had
    John,

I am not sure what exactly you are looking for. If you want to build VMWare Guest with RedHat and try to virtualize it may work, but you can install. Or do you want to run VMWare Server or Workstation from you RedHat Server?

Cheers,
    GG

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gersongarcia67 View Post
    John,

I am not sure what exactly you are looking for. If you want to build VMWare Guest with RedHat and try to virtualize it may work, but you can install. Or do you want to run VMWare Server or Workstation from you RedHat Server?

Cheers,
    GG
    yes,I should to run VMware Workstation on My RedHat Server

Linux Engineer
    I have seen a successful KVM environment, though it was run on Ubuntu vice RHEL. This isn't to say KVM on RHEL is inferior, just saying that is all I've personally seen in production. I run KVM at home on Scientific Linux, no problems with modern distros or win2k8r2.

KVM is based on QEMU, which is a different type of virtualization than VMware, and should run fine in a nested setup.

I'm not sure if VMware would run in KVM.

If you are referring to Xen, I wouldn't attempt it.

If you're talking about running just RHEL as a VMware guest on an ESXi host, then plenty of people do that without problem.