Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys, I followed the instructions on a sourceforge page so I can try to compile FreeCAD from source, cuz I haven't been able to find an RPM package for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

trouble installing FreeCAD

hey guys,

I followed the instructions on a sourceforge page so I can try to compile FreeCAD from source, cuz I haven't been able to find an RPM package for it. (site here doesn't let me post the URL yet)

I installed the dependencies, then tried running cmake on the extracted files, and it keeps giving me this:

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
    Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
    COIN3D_INCLUDE_DIR
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/3rdParty/Pivy
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/3rdParty/Pivy
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Main
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Main
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/Points/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/Complete/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/Image/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/Mesh/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/Part/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/PartDesign/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/Raytracing/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/Drawing/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/Robot/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/ReverseEngineering/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/MeshPart/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/Web/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/Start/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/Import/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/Inspection/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Mod/Fem/Gui
    used as include directory in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Gui
    COIN3D_LIBRARY
    linked by target "coin" in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/3rdParty/Pivy
    linked by target "soqt" in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/3rdParty/Pivy
    linked by target "FreeCADGui" in directory /home/frankkitteh/Downloads/FreeCAD-0.12.5284/src/Gui

so I tried ./configure, and said

checking for Qt >= 4.3... configure: error: Cannot find Qt meta object compiler (moc), bye...

weird part is, I installed qt already

Package 1:qt-4.8.2-2.fc16.x86_64 already installed and latest version
    Nothing to do

I tried digging around, and someone gave a suggestion on some other thread (closed it without keeping the URL, can't remember what), and I don't understand what it says because it's in French. It did sound like something to do with exporting pathnames and stuff like that.

Not exactly a pro with this stuff, any suggestions?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need the qt-devel package I expect. Also, if you have the epel repository installed, you can easily get qcad without building anything.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I installed all dependencies as listed on the instructions page, and yet it refuses to see that there's qt and qt-devel installed.
    Was kinda interested in trying out FreeCAD actually, I have draftsight for 2D drawings (for some reason it refuses to start without an internet connection, some advice here would be good too), and I felt I'd like to try this particular one since it says it's good for 3D