Find the answer to your Linux question:
I can set the ftp client so the user cannot go to upper directories. BUT, when they login into the server using ssh they can. How can I remove that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Permissions to change root

I can set the ftp client so the user cannot go to upper directories. BUT, when they login into the server using ssh they can. How can I remove that ability?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Remove read/write/execute permissions on those directories from user Other. IE, "chmod o-rwx directory-list"
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hmmm... are you sure? Perhaps I didn't explain it well...

I meant that when someone uses ftp they can go to their /usr/home directory but they cannot see the /usr/, I want the same to happen if they use SSH.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelf View Post
    Hmmm... are you sure? Perhaps I didn't explain it well...

I meant that when someone uses ftp they can go to their /usr/home directory but they cannot see the /usr/, I want the same to happen if they use SSH.
    You can do that by setting the permissions on /home, so that users cannot access it. All system logins usually go to /home/user where "user" is the user id. SSH logins are no different from normal ones, and the user is placed into their home directory. /home usually is owned by root.root (root user and group). As long as the user doesn't have root group privileges, then they should be effectively shut out of /home. However, the question is whether or not they can log in at all! I did some testing on my system, and this may be a problem. Do some testing on your system.

All that aside, you can make sure that each user directory in home is only accessible by that user, so even if they can "see" /home, they can't access other user directories and files.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!