Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all, I performed a yum update today, and ever since doing that, my computer gets a kernel panic when I reboot, unless I go into the boot options and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Centos - kernel panic with 8, fine with 4

Dear all,
    I performed a yum update today, and ever since doing that, my computer gets a kernel panic when I reboot, unless I go into the boot options and select boot from centos 4.x instead of 8.x.

Is there a way to remove 8.x or perhaps I can just set the default to 4.x in Grub bootloader or something?

Regards,
    Stu

Let me start off by saying both of these are EOL (End Of Life) and should be replaced.

Look in your grub.conf file for "Default=" line.
    Change it to the number of the OS you want to boot.
    Count the lines starting with "title" and begin counting from 0 (Zero).

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    Let me start off by saying both of these are EOL (End Of Life) and should be replaced.

Look in your grub.conf file for "Default=" line.
    Change it to the number of the OS you want to boot.
    Count the lines starting with "title" and begin counting from 0 (Zero).
    Are you saying I have to upgrade from centos 5.8 to 6.x? Im having to use 5.8 for now due to some features not yet available in 6.x for some reason. Though I cant remember what off the top of my head. Or is there a way to easily upgrade the kernal in centos 5.8?

Stu

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by stu2000 View Post
    I go into the boot options and select boot from centos 4.x instead of 8.x.
    Is there a way to remove 8.x or perhaps I can just set the default to 4.x in Grub bootloader or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by stu2000 View Post
    Are you saying I have to upgrade from centos 5.8 to 6.x? Im having to use 5.8 for now due to some features not yet available in 6.x for some reason. Though I cant remember what off the top of my head. Or is there a way to easily upgrade the kernal in centos 5.8?

Stu
    You never said anything about 5.8 in your original post which I have quoted above. You stated that you were/are using 4.x and 8.x. Since you stated these as your OS I was only informing you that they are EOL and you should think about upgrading. Please keep in mind we can only go by what you tell us. If the information you give us is wrong then you cannot expect to get the proper reply.

As for the rest of the reply it applies to you.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Sorry for the confusion. This is Centos5.8, but when I boot, the grub boot loader shows 3 options for booting this OS, one with kernal 4.x, one with 8.x, and one with no appended text (i think this just loads 8.x which doesnt work). TBH im guessing that these are referring to the kernel. I have not deliberately mislead anyone.
    Here is a print screen of what I see. As you can see im running enterprise linux 5(., but there are options for choosing a 4 or choosing an 8. Maybe this is choosing between Centos 5.4 and 5.8? Does the last number represent the kernel version?

http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/ima...91591-orig.jpg

Stu
    Last edited by stu2000; 06-19-2012 at 12:22 PM.

NP, just do what I stated above and if you are not sure post your grub file and I'll show you.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted