Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I have a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card. I previously used it on FC 2 AND 3. It worked like a charm. I recently had to re-install the OS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound Card troubles

Ok, I have a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card. I previously used it on FC 2 AND 3. It worked like a charm. I recently had to re-install the OS due to a motherboard upgrade and FC3 wouldn't let me configure my NIC card. Now the sound card detection doesn't work at all, in either FC 2 or FC 3. Could it be a motherboard issue?
    My previous Motherboard was an Asus A7V8X-X. FC wouldn't recognize the onboard audio, so I got a SoundBlaster Live, and it worked great. (The sound card still works in XP Professional so I know that the card is good)

My new motherboard is an Asus A7V600-X. FC now recognizes the onboard Audio, but doesn't recognize SB Live. I disabled the Onboard Audio in the bios and have tried again to get it to recognize the card, but it still won't do it.

can someone give me a possible reason as to why and how I can fix the problem?

Re: Sound Card troubles

Quote Originally Posted by King P
    Ok, I have a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card. I previously used it on FC 2 AND 3. It worked like a charm. I recently had to re-install the OS due to a motherboard upgrade and FC3 wouldn't let me configure my NIC card. Now the sound card detection doesn't work at all, in either FC 2 or FC 3. Could it be a motherboard issue?
    My previous Motherboard was an Asus A7V8X-X. FC wouldn't recognize the onboard audio, so I got a SoundBlaster Live, and it worked great. (The sound card still works in XP Professional so I know that the card is good)

My new motherboard is an Asus A7V600-X. FC now recognizes the onboard Audio, but doesn't recognize SB Live. I disabled the Onboard Audio in the bios and have tried again to get it to recognize the card, but it still won't do it.

can someone give me a possible reason as to why and how I can fix the problem?
    I know you've already done it, but you don't have to re-install Linux when you get a new motherboard. It's not windows. Just recompile your kernel with support for the chipset on the new mobo before you shutdown to install the mobo.

Now...onto your problem...

Can you post the output of 'lspci' and 'lsmod'. Also, dmesg? (please use the code brackets )
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy