Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am striving to finish configuring my multifunction workstation and at this point im working on the multimedia aspect of it with a laundry list of things that need attending ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Newbie with ALSA trouble

I am striving to finish configuring my multifunction workstation and at this point im working on the multimedia aspect of it with a laundry list of things that need attending to but that will be another day. Today i was and am trying to focus on getting my soundcard and sound system within my workstation configured properly to both have a nice volume control which i have been stuck using hardware volume control to increase my volume and also i want my system to recognize that i have a multichannel surround sound setup so it will stop trying to pump everything through as it were a single channel. Thus improving my sound quality and allow me to check my the wiring of my speaker set to see if my 5th speaker is actually functioning.

I have a Xonar DS soundcard which i know is compatable via ALSA however somehow somewhere something is misconfigured and i do not know how to fix it. I read this :

Code:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-virtuoso
    increasing my confusion.

I did as the ALSA wiki suggested and ran
    Code:
    Modinfo soundcore
    and recieved this as a result:
    Code:
    filename:       /lib/modules/3.4.3-1.fc17.x86_64/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko
    alias:          char-major-14-*
    license:        GPL
    author:         Alan Cox
    description:    Core sound module
    depends:        
    intree:         Y
    vermagic:       3.4.3-1.fc17.x86_64 SMP mod_unload 
    parm:           preclaim_oss:int
    Since it did not return an error i am assuming that i actually have what i need installed. Also when i use alsamixer i can find my soundcard however idk how to make it the default and i do have sound but it is primarally 1 channel mirrored to 5 speakers atleast from what i can tell however my ears are not that of a pro so i can not give a definitative yes or no answer... So i am asking the community what do i need to do to reorganize how my system percieve soundcards letting my hardware soundcard take precedence over pulseaudio also i need to know what i do not know basically saying i dont even know what good questions to ask...

Any help will be greately appreciated

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    With newer systems, try Pulse Audio drivers.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!