Find the answer to your Linux question:
My problem is, I want Linux, but I cannot install it on this computer, because it is the family one and my parents would kill me if I did. So ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing to internal hd, with .iso on external hd

My problem is, I want Linux, but I cannot install it on this computer, because it is the family one and my parents would kill me if I did. So I want to install Linux on my own computer, which is generally... quite bad.

The distro which I got my hands on is FC3, on a DVD. My computer doesn't have a DVD drive. So heres what I thought I could do:

Make a CD with the boot.iso on it, do start the installation process. This worked and I have loaded it several times on my computer.

Use WinImage to turn the contents of the DVD into an iso, then move that iso to my iPod. This too has worked fine I think, and I have placed the 2.2GB iso in a folder /FC3 on my USB harddrive.

Then, on install, I thought I could chose that the rest of the install files were situated on a hard drive, and select my harddrive. But this is where I have trouble. It recognises a USB device, and then when i chose to find installation files on a hard drive it gives me the following options:

/dev/hda1
    /dev/sda1
    /dev/sda2

I chose sda1, and it fails, and sda2 fails as well. In the extra box, I type FC3 as the folder to look in, but it says it cannot find the folder.

Is there an easier way to go about doing this? If not, how can I get the install to work from my iPod? I don't want to copy the files to my normal harddrive, because it is only 10GB. Also, I cannot get install cd's, because I have 56k

-------

I noted that when I pressed F2 to find the iso manually, and then selected either /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2 that it said that it couldn't be mounted, but when I seleted /dev/hda1 it showed all the files in my C:\ drive. I am guessing that the problem is that the harddrive isn't correctly mounted, but I am probably totally wrong.

Secondly, I put the iso onto my hard drive, and went through installation that way, and when I got to the partitioning part I came across a problem. I want to just get rid of windows in my computer, as I don't really have the space to have two OS's. I have still got the disk to reload it if need be, and there isn't too much important data, and what I need I can backup onto my other computer.

Anywho, I cannot delete the windows partition, because the installation files are in it, and I cannot make any new partitions because the windows partition takes up all the space, and it cannot be edited.

What I was thinking is... Can I delete the partition completely, getting rid of all my data, but somehow shove the iso onto its own partition? Ideally, the iso would go on the external harddrive, and then I can delete my windows partition from disk druid... but I can't get it to work from my external harddrive

-------

As a final thought:

If it isn't possible to install with the iso on the external harddrive would it be possible to split up the FC3 data, and make it into 3 or 4 isos and burn them to cd so I can install from the cds?

It sounds unlikely to me, as I wouldn't have a clue where to split the data... perhaps just shove a quarter of the rpms on each cd, and there would need to be some files in the root of the cd... perhaps just copy the ones which where in the root of the dvd to each cd?

I don't know, I am just guessing.

Anyhelp on one of the subjects I have posted about would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

When you put the iso on your ext. hard drive, are you putting the actual ISO or the contents of the ISO? I believe it will work with the contents of the ISO extracted onto your external HDD. Then you could select that for where the installation files come from, etc.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Ah yes, that makes sense. Thanks a lot.

However, I found a much more difficult and roundabout way of doing it, making for possibly the longest Linux installation in history

I split the RPMs on the dvd up alphabetically and shoved them all onto different cd's, then throughout thewhole installation I had to change the cd each time it tried to install a package not on the current cd. That means changing the cd about... 400 times I reckon. The installation took 12 hours.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeo
    Ah yes, that makes sense. Thanks a lot.

However, I found a much more difficult and roundabout way of doing it, making for possibly the longest Linux installation in history

I split the RPMs on the dvd up alphabetically and shoved them all onto different cd's, then throughout thewhole installation I had to change the cd each time it tried to install a package not on the current cd. That means changing the cd about... 400 times I reckon. The installation took 12 hours.

Good idea, though it was quite a long way. If you ever try this again, let me know if the method I suggested works.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy