Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear All, Thanks for Advance I have 160 gb sata harddisk i installed winxp pro in c partition and i also delete one extended partition for fedora and i installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Dual Boot Grub2 problem ( win xp and Fedora 16 ) need help

Dear All,

Thanks for Advance

I have 160 gb sata harddisk i installed winxp pro in c partition and i also delete one extended partition for fedora and i installed fedora 16 in following partitions ( using custom lay our ) sda6 - boot, sda7 - /, sda8 - /home, and sda9 swap. I also installed boot loader in sda6. After completed the installation i could not boot Fedora 16 system boots winxp only. when i googling i got some helps and i installed grub4dos for dual boot in menu.lst file i added
    title Fedora
    chainloader (hd0, +1
    but when i reboot the system it shows grub4dos and select Fedora it gives
    "Error 23, Error while parsing number" error message please anybody gives solutions for this.
    Many Thanks

Linux Guru
    I also installed boot loader in sda6
    That is expected behavior. If you installed Fedora Grub to the root partition, you would need to configure your xp boot file to put an entry in it for Fedora. If you installed Fedora Grub to the mbr of the drive, you should have been able to boot both Fedora and xp. The entry you posted is wrong. If you have a separate /boot partition as you indicate on sda6, you would need to add: root (hd0,5) below the title line in grub.conf or menu.lst. Don't know if this will resolve your problem. If it doesn't, you should boot the Fedora CD and google bootinfoscript, go to its site and read the instructions, download the program and run it. The post the output.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply,
    Finally I fixed the problem, for modify the boot.ini file like
    title Fedora 16
    chainloader ( hd0, 5 ) + 1

now Fedora16 boots without any issues

Many Thanks