Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, so I've been working with Fedora 17 now for a little under a month. Also, I am starting to dig deeper into the guts of Linux and the like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 17 file Heirarchy

ok, so I've been working with Fedora 17 now for a little under a month. Also, I am starting to dig deeper into the guts of Linux and the like and have realized that there is a very big need to learn the file-system hierarchy for linux. So, with DuckDuckGo and Google at hand I start my wearisome journey. Not surprisingly, Fedora 17 came with a few changes to the file hierarchy.

I was wondering if anybody could give me a run down on the file-hierarchy for Fedora 17. Also, I've noticed recently that most every software I download or install doesn't install to the /proc dir. Why? Isn't that what that dir is for? What's going on with this?

Linux Enthusiast
    The "/proc" directory is a mount point for a pseudo filesystem that has "process information".

Code:
    /bin ---- executables that are needed to boot the system and are not limited to the "root" user account (general users).
    /sbin --- executables that are needed to boot the system and are usually limited to the "root" user account.
    /lib ----- libraries (for the normal 64 or 32 bit install and is usually a link to the actual /lib32 or /lib64)
    /lib64 -- libraries needed by 64-bit executables located in "/bin" and "/sbin" and it also include any kernel modules.
    /lib32 -- libraries needed by 32-bit executables located in "/bin" and "/sbin" and it also include any kernel modules.

/usr/bin --- executables that are available to the general users and are NOT needed to boot the system
         /sbin -- executables that are available to the "root" user and are NOT needed to boot the system
        /lib* ---- libraries needed by  executables found in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin and are not in /lib*

In a multiple machine usage case, the "/usr"  tree is mounted from an NFS exported filesystem  allowing a single point of updates (something that Widows users usually never see).

This is again repeated at "/usr/local" where software is added to a specific machine that is not used my all machines in a multpile machine (this may be mounted by as an NFS system where several machines will use the same additional machines.

Sun Microsystem (now part of Oracle) also created "/opt" where whole packages such as "OpenOffice" may be placed in their own sub-tree.

Most distributions tend to use the /{bin,sbin,lib*} and the /usr/{bin,sbin,lib*} location but not the "/usr/local/{bin,sbin,lib*}" locations.
    Note that the /{bin,sbin,lib*} must be on the same hard disk partition while "/usr/{bin,sbin,lib*}" can be their own hard drive partition (or a shared server location) and the "/usr/local/{bin,sbin,lib*}" can also be on their own hard drive partition (or a shared server location). On a Linux system (or Unix System), a partition (or a whole drive if not partitioned) can be mounted at any directory (the mounted data will then be visible and will hide the data that may have been in the directory being used as a mount point.

Just Joined!
    ok, that makes more sense. I completely mis-matched the /opt and /proc dirs....I meant /opt but I have the answer. Is the /opt directory only for storing packages, or is it a place where you can install packages? If it's where you can install packages is there a way you can have a package installed to that directory?, or is it up to the software you are installing?

Thanks for the reply! it helped alot!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    most packages are installed to /bin /sbin /usr/bin or /usr/sbin