Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Hi I am new with Redhat and I have some problems. I want to ask a few questions. I installed Redhat 5.4 x64 ver. to my server. (I dont know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3

    Installation problem on Redhat Enterprise server without licence


    Hi
    I am new with Redhat and I have some problems. I want to ask a few questions.

    I installed Redhat 5.4 x64 ver. to my server. (I dont know exactly which ver. did I installed so outputs are below.)

    -----------------------------------------------
    # uname -a
    Linux epsilon 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP Tue Aug 18 15:51:48 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    # cat /etc/redhat-release
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga)
    -----------------------------------------------


    So I tryed a lot of RPM files (both 32 and 64 bits) to install but I couldnt be able. I cant use "yum" either. Because we havent get licence so we are using evaluating mode.

    I am curious about that is it possible to install "RPM" files on this server?

  2. #2
    Trusted Penguin Irithori's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    3,423
    You can download a 30days evaluation subscription from redhat here
    https://www.redhat.com/products/ente.../download.html

    Another way would be to install one of the free redhat clones such as CentOS or ScientificLinux.
    Btw, is there a specific reason you picked version 5.4?
    While version 5 is still widely in use and supported, it is advised to use 5.8.
    Or better, the latest 6 release: 6.2 (CentOS)
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for your reply Irıthori.
    I have alredy download 30 day evaluation and installed.(rhel-server-5.4-x86_64-dvd) But I am asking that, is it possible to install "RPM" files on this server? Because I tryed and failed.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Trusted Penguin Irithori's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    3,423
    Yes, the command would be "rpm -i <your rpm package>"
    However,
    - the rpms need to be made for redhat 5 and x86_64
    - you would need to resolve rpm dependencies yourself. Usually yum does that.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

  6. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    Yes, the command would be "rpm -i <your rpm package>"
    However,
    - the rpms need to be made for redhat 5 and x86_64
    - you would need to resolve rpm dependencies yourself. Usually yum does that.
    Hi,
    But I couldnt be able to install chrome and opera, both 32 and 64 versions. Is there any sample program that I try to install to my system?

  7. #6
    Trusted Penguin Irithori's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    3,423
    If this is just about learning how to install a rpm, and not so much about a specific app,
    then you could look on the install dvds.

    There are hundreds of rpms, and all their dependencies can be fullfilled by the other rpms available on the dvds
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

  8. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by coolx View Post
    So I tryed a lot of RPM files (both 32 and 64 bits) to install but I couldnt be able. I cant use "yum" either. Because we havent get licence so we are using evaluating mode.

    I am curious about that is it possible to install "RPM" files on this server?
    Can you please expound on this? You should be able to install *.rpm files locally (dependency issues come in,of course) , but not from the redhat repository (otherwise you a trial subscription).

  9. #8
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ilesterg View Post
    Can you please expound on this? You should be able to install *.rpm files locally (dependency issues come in,of course) , but not from the redhat repository (otherwise you a trial subscription).
    What do you get when you run 'yum repolist' or 'yum search vim'

    If the above show that you don't have a repo setup then I think your best bet is to your DVD as a new repo, this way you don't have to worry about dependencies and just use 'yum install vim'

    Search google for this "Using your DVD as a yum repository on a RPM based*Linux" you will find your answer.

    Altimimi

  10. #9
    Linux Enthusiast Mudgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by coolx View Post
    Hi,
    But I couldnt be able to install chrome and opera, both 32 and 64 versions. Is there any sample program that I try to install to my system?
    I think Irithori answered with respect to sample rpms. As to Opera and Chrome, you don't say how you tried to install or what happened, so it's difficult to be of any help with those. A good problem report _always_ contains the following elements, at a minimum:

    1) What did you do? (Specifically)
    2) What happened? (Specifically)
    3) What did you expect to happen? (Specifically)

  11. #10
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    15
    You Should just use fedora It is made by red hat but is free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •