Find the answer to your Linux question:
as above. xine vcd://1 i tried to run it from command line when i am logged in as a normal user and it says there is no input plugin available ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

xine problem: cannot play vcd unless i am logged in as root

as above.
    xine vcd://1
    i tried to run it from command line when i am logged in as a normal user and it says there is no input plugin available to handle vcd://1. Maybe the MRL syntax is wrong or file/stream source doesnt exist

erm..i realised if i logged in as su in terminal, i am able to play vcd. but i can't play it from my shortcut. is there a way round it?

Linux Enthusiast
    What are your permissions for the CD drive? Make sure users have access, you can specify 'users' as an option in fstab for the cd/dvd drive.

IMO, MPlayer is far better than Xine. But it's your preference.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    What are your permissions for the CD drive? Make sure users have access, you can specify 'users' as an option in fstab for the cd/dvd drive.

IMO, MPlayer is far better than Xine. But it's your preference.
    how do i do the above?
    i tink i found an thread on this but after i reboot i could not find it anymore
    okie i have tried chmod 777 /dev/hdc and it is now able to play vcd and cds..but i still cannot get it to eject, i can only do so if i am root so i have to go terminal and su to exit, i checked my console.perm
    <console> 0600 <sound> 0600 root
    so i added myself to the group root..and it still din work