Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok on three different distros (Mint, Centos, and Sci.Linux) I have noticed the same issue. If you manually remove all Emacs fills from your system (in terminal mode of course) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Manual Remove of Emacs Followed w/Yum to Reinstall Creates Issues

Ok on three different distros (Mint, Centos, and Sci.Linux) I have noticed the same issue. If you manually remove all Emacs fills from your system (in terminal mode of course) and then use "yum install emacs" to reinstall it you will end up with X-server dependency issues and if you are able to get a working Emacs it will be ugly.

To me that equates to a broken packaging system. I ought to be able to totally remove every scrap of Emacs from my system and successfully and perfectly reinstall it using 'YUM'.

This is one things people complain about with Windows but it is really no better in LInux in terms of end user solutions.

I have been using Linux for about 5 weeks now and I love it but I just wish that the 'YUM' and 'apt-get' packaging systems were more intelligent.

If anyone knows of some arguments I can add to the 'yum install emacs' command that will indeed replace and build the dependencies from scratch then please enlighten me.

And let me go ahead and say any comment along the lines of "well, dude, why would you want to manually remove all emacs files anyway" is not relevant to this post.

Just Joined!
    Here is the terminal print out. What it boils down to is that neither YUM nor APT-GET plays nicely with deleting the /usr/share/emacs directory. I could easily just reinstall Centos to make it right again but because I am learning Linux right now I would like to use this as an opportunity to learn how to manually restore broken packaging system for emacs. In fact, I think that would be a hell of a thing to know how to do. Any of you veteran Linux smarty pants care to help me out with this?

[root@john john]# emacs
    Warning: arch-independent data dir (/usr/share/emacs/23.1/etc/) does not exist.
    Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp' does not exist.
    Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' does not exist.
    Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/23.1/lisp' does not exist.
    Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/23.1/leim' does not exist.
    Error: charsets directory (/usr/share/emacs/23.1/etc/charsets) does not exist.
    Emacs will not function correctly without the character map files.
    Please check your installation!
    Cannot open load file: warnings

Just Joined!
    Please read former posts before this one. Here is the readout when I attempt to configure Emacs24 from source:

checking for long file names... yes
    checking for X... no
    checking for X... true
    configure: error: You seem to be running X, but no X development libraries
    were found. You should install the relevant development files for X
    and for the toolkit you want, such as Gtk+, Lesstif or Motif. Also make
    sure you have development files for image handling, i.e.
    tiff, gif, jpeg, png and xpm.
    If you are sure you want Emacs compiled without X window support, pass
    --without-x
    to configure.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close