Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys I have been an Ubuntu user for years but since 12.04 have had nothing but problems so am looking to change to fedora. I have an empty partition ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

install fedora 17 without usb or cd

Hi guys I have been an Ubuntu user for years but since 12.04 have had nothing but problems so am looking to change to fedora.

I have an empty partition on my HDD I would like to install it to but have no CD or USB.

I read about Unetbootin but it crashes after the GRUB screen and all other guides I read are for installing from windows and I do not have Windows.

Can any one help me with this

Hi markkirby,

You can follow the instructions shown here:

Chapter*12.*Installing Without Media

Cheers

Just Joined!
    If your problem is with Unity, possibly another variant like Xubuntu or Kubuntu would work better for you. You can just install the metapackages for Xfce4 or KDE and select the desired desktop when you log in again.

Aside from that, the basic scheme would be to download an ISO, mount it as if it were a CD drive, and run the installer from your original Ubuntu - I believe that's what the previous response will till you to do.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by markkirby View Post
    Hi guys I have been an Ubuntu user for years but since 12.04 have had nothing but problems so am looking to change to fedora.

I have an empty partition on my HDD I would like to install it to but have no CD or USB.

I read about Unetbootin but it crashes after the GRUB screen and all other guides I read are for installing from windows and I do not have Windows.

Can any one help me with this
    another way to go is to set up a PXE (Pre Execute Environment) server, allowing you to network boot your client PCs and install any of a number of Linux distros. The PXE server is basically a DHCP server, a TFTP server, and some sort of file server (NFS/Web/FTP).

In my setup, I have a PXE server that provides installs for RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, Ubuntu and will also launch several Live/Rescue distros (SysRescuCD, GParted, BartPE).

It takes a little work to set up initially, but the pay-off is worth it later on. You just have to make sure your client PC has PXE capability, configured in the BIOS. These days it is fairly common, but even if you have an old system, you can create an image from rom-o-matic.net to create floppy/CD/grub bootable images, specific to your NIC card.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll try to steer you towards a good setup guide, based upon your desires.