Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello. I installed CentOS on my computer, it worked, no errors, but after restart it won't boot. Boot Failure: System Halted (this is the message I receive when there is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Centos 5.8 fresh install boot problem

Hello. I installed CentOS on my computer, it worked, no errors, but after restart it won't boot. Boot Failure: System Halted (this is the message I receive when there is nothing installed on it). It has four hard drives, hda and hdb have 3 partitions each in RAID1 /boot, swap and LV, and the hdc and hdd have one LV also in RAID1, logical volumes are mounted in / .Grub is installed on hda and hdb to the MBR. I tried to reinstall Grub in rescue mode but it still doesen't work.

Trusted Penguin
    i didn't think /boot could be a RAID 1, but if the installer let you, the maybe so.

grub should have only been installed on one drive (hda or hdb). i would defer to hda.

in the BIOS, have you confirmed the boot order?

Just Joined!
    The drive order is ok. And from what i've seen in the wiki /boot should work in raid1 although before i've installed these four harddisks it didn't had any raid and /boot was on hda and it worked. Is there any way I could do this? If I put /boot only on one harddisk and that harddisk fais it kinda beats the purpose of raid.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    i didn't think /boot could be a RAID 1, but if the installer let you, the maybe so.
    RAID1 is fine use it here without issues

grub should have only been installed on one drive (hda or hdb). i would defer to hda.
    Grub should be installed on both drives as that is the purpose of RAID1.

in the BIOS, have you confirmed the boot order?
    Quote Originally Posted by bran_8_3 View Post
    The drive order is ok. And from what i've seen in the wiki /boot should work in raid1 although before i've installed these four harddisks it didn't had any raid and /boot was on hda and it worked. Is there any way I could do this? If I put /boot only on one harddisk and that harddisk fais it kinda beats the purpose of raid.
    My question is how did you install the system? did you first setup the system and then try to RAID it or did you configure RAID from the beginning?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    It's software raid setup during centos installation.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    RAID1 is fine use it here without issues

Grub should be installed on both drives as that is the purpose of RAID1.
    what i meant is that the MBR is individually installed to sda or sdb or hda or hdb or whatever. Of course it can be installed to both/all drives, and I'm sure it is, if a RAID 1 is set up during install time. But it may have to be performed manually.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by bran_8_3 View Post
    It's software raid setup during centos installation.
    It is odd that is does not work, if you set it up during install. Take a look at the CentOS HowTo for RAID 1 configurations. Perhaps it will give you some ideas:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Instal...ght=%28RAID%29

Just Joined!
    That didn't help Can this be because of wrong raid driver? I have a raid expansion card but only the cd-rom is connected to it, the hard drives are connected directly to the motherboard. It loads some drivers for that card when setup lunches, maybe it loaded the raid drivers for the card durring instalation and the computer cant read the hard drives durring boot (the error i get is the same error as when nothing is installed on it). The card also shows a notice durring post that if i use linux i should disable any kind of bios raid and use the linux setup for raid. If so can I choose what drivers to load durring setup?

Trusted Penguin
    If you are not using the hardware RAID card, then why not just remove it? At least temporarily, until you get things sorted. But to answer your question, it should have nothing to do w/your RAID problems, provided you are using a software RAID (which it sounds like you are).

Did you attempt to completely redo your boot partition and reinstall grub, as discussed in the link? I don't have a RAID setup, so I can't really replicate your problem.

Perhaps you can show your RAID/disk configuration, to help us understand what might be going on. Show the output of these commands:
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    cat /etc/grub.conf
    cat /etc/fstab
    cat /proc/mdstat
    cat /etc/mdadm.conf
    Be sure to run at least the first two commands as root.

Just Joined!
    Image749.jpg
    Image750.jpg
    Image751.jpg
    Image752.jpg
    Image753.jpg
    I ran the commands from linux rescue and took a picture of the output with my phone sorry for the bad quality

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast