Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
When I started using Linux, I decided on Fedora Core 6 as my first HD install. I loved it. I enjoyed Fedora so much that I ran it almost exclusively ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry Well this was disappointing...

When I started using Linux, I decided on Fedora Core 6 as my first HD install. I loved it. I enjoyed Fedora so much that I ran it almost exclusively up through Fedora 10.
    I decided to give it another go around to see what had changed.
    So, a couple of days ago (Thursday night) I decided to install the Xfce spin of Fedora 17 in a spare 20 GB partition that I have set aside on my drive.
    I was quite pleased with the results. Resource usage was a little higher than my Slack/IceWM install, but nothing really to worry about. Fairly good responsiveness, all hardware worked out-of-the-box.
    About 2 hours ago, I did a standard yum update... and lost all function from both keyboard and mouse keys! The mouse still moved, and would pop-up an info bubble if I hovered over an icon, so it wasn't a system freeze. And the updates that came through weren't major system components, either. It was stuff for Transmission, a FF update... things like that.

I could probably fix this... but I shouldn't have to even worry about something like this happening. It's not like I have high-end machinery over here... It's a 3 year old Acer that was mid-grade when I bought it, and ran Fedora 10 just fine!

I was really happy using the older releases of Fedora. But the quality of this release has me wondering what happened.

Anybody got any thoughts to add to this?
    I'm hoping to hear a few success stories, as well.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I've ran the Fedora-17-x86_64-Live-KDE iso, have not had any problems with that but it's a lot different than installing it and using it that way. Did you get an xorg update or uhmm gosh what's the name......evdev?? Is that right?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Offhand, I can't remember what they were. I'm booted to my Slack install right now.
    But all was great, was posting here, shooting off a few emails, surfing the web.
    Thought to myself "New system, gotta be some updates."

Did an update, and looked at what was getting updated. I always review the updates before I apply them... I learned to do that the hard way!
    Like said, I don't remember what those 13 updates were, but none of them had anything to do with the system.
    4 of them were Transmission (cli, gtk, etc.)...FF and SeaMonkey... I think the deepest one was for bind.
    So nothing that should affect input devices.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Well this was disappointing...
    Yeah, I kinda went through that with Mandriva in 2010. Made me swear off rpm distros. Any hows.

Fedora 17 updates-testing report

just in case

Systems hangs on X startup with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 adapter (affects installation)
    This issue can be worked around by disabling hardware acceleration. To do this, pass the kernel parameter nouveau.noaccel=1
    from

Common F17 bugs - FedoraProject

Oddly enough, I rebooted to Fedora 17... no KB or mouse button response.
    Re-booted to it one more time, everything is working just fine for now.

*EDIT*
    Nothing in the kernel logs indicate an error.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

I was mistaken earlier... there was something affected when it comes to input...
    Code:
    Jul 30 19:28:54 Updated: bash-4.2.37-2.fc17.i686
    Jul 30 19:28:55 Updated: ibus-libs-1.4.99.20120712-1.fc17.i686
    Jul 30 19:28:56 Updated: transmission-common-2.50-3.fc17.i686
    Jul 30 19:28:59 Updated: transmission-gtk-2.50-3.fc17.i686
    Jul 30 19:28:59 Updated: transmission-cli-2.50-3.fc17.i686
    Jul 30 19:29:00 Updated: ibus-gtk2-1.4.99.20120712-1.fc17.i686
    Jul 30 19:29:01 Updated: ibus-1.4.99.20120712-1.fc17.i686
    Jul 30 19:29:02 Updated: ibus-gtk3-1.4.99.20120712-1.fc17.i686
    Jul 30 19:29:04 Updated: goffice-0.9.5-1.fc17.i686
    Jul 30 19:29:04 Updated: transmission-2.50-3.fc17.i686
    Jul 30 19:29:10 Updated: 1:gnumeric-1.11.5-1.fc17.i686
    Some posts indicate that ibus will screw with your input devices. But I got my problem maybe 15 minutes after an update. No reboot, no restart of any services.
    It just hit me out of the blue.

*EDIT*
    Moving this thread to the Fedora Forum as it may shed some light for some folks.
    Last edited by jayd512; 07-31-2012 at 04:09 AM. Reason: moved to Fedora section
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Like said, I don't remember what those 13 updates were.
    Crud... it's the fact that there were 13 updates!
    Unlucky all the way!!!

*EDIT*
    Okay... I'm confused...
    'yum update' told me 13 updates...
    I see 11 in the logs.
    ???
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I've ran the Fedora-17-x86_64-Live-KDE iso, have not had any problems with that but it's a lot different than installing it and using it that way. Did you get an xorg update or uhmm gosh what's the name......evdev?? Is that right?
    yeah, evdev! that rat-bastard. it's made my Desktop keyboard and mouse its beeyotches many a time.

i can add to both the woe stories and the w00t! stories: i did an upgrade from F16 to F17 at work and it was fairly successful, but i had to dork with more things than I should have to, when it was done, to get it back the way I wanted it. I also did an upgrade at home from F15 to F16 to F17 and that was pretty much a goat screw. i don't recommend it!

now to the good: since i fixed both of my F17 upgrades, i haven't had a single issue with yum updates, to date (knocking on wood now...).

finally: it has to be remembered that Fedora is what some call a "bleeding-edge" distro, so if you are using the latest "stable" release from Fedora - be prepared, she does pitch from time to time. but (like a host of other Linux distros) if it truly is worthy, and you use it long enough, you learn to appreciate and leverage the good things and learn how to tweak or circumvent the bad (which are inevitable).

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I used to love Fedora Core up until version 7 after which it became more and more unstable. I still tried each new version though, based on glowing if entirely inaccurate reviews in Linux Format. I recently installed the XFCE version of Fedora 17 and with the exception of a couple of games crashing, these are games I can live without as I only installed them for a look see when browsing through the repositories, and a distinct lack of Dungeon Crawl (tiles) it's been great.

It's a bit more resource heavy than LMDE and definitely runs the graphics card a few degrees hotter but with the exception of a strange and frustrating 10 - 15 minute period where the mouse and keyboard wouldn't wake the monitor up, it has been fast and stable. No reboots required, everything just came back! Maybe it was related to the same thing as jayd's issue.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I used to love Fedora Core up until version 7 after which it became more and more unstable. I still tried each new version though, based on glowing if entirely inaccurate reviews in Linux Format. I recently installed the XFCE version of Fedora 17 and with the exception of a couple of games crashing, these are games I can live without as I only installed them for a look see when browsing through the repositories, and a distinct lack of Dungeon Crawl (tiles) it's been great.

It's a bit more resource heavy than LMDE and definitely runs the graphics card a few degrees hotter but with the exception of a strange and frustrating 10 - 15 minute period where the mouse and keyboard wouldn't wake the monitor up, it has been fast and stable. No reboots required, everything just came back! Maybe it was related to the same thing as jayd's issue.
    Yeah i have noticed that Fedora has gone downhill, since the earlier versions. I like Fedora 14. But 16 onwards have just been a nightmare for me to get working. The installer constantly crashes, unless you go through the livecd/dvd and even then, after reboot Fedora doesn't load properly.
    Ironically all these problems have arisen since GNOMES hell came out (When will they scrap GNOME3 and move to 4, Even numbers seem to have a better design quality than odd :P ). I am wondering if the developers at Fedora have lost enthusiasm or its just that the general state of the recent linux software is just really unstable and buggy.
    I find pure Debian suits me fine. Always find that i install a new Linux Distro but always end up preferring to use Debian.
    Out of curiosity what Filesystem are you guys using?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast