Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey ppl, i want to take mandrake off my machine and install redhat 9.0 where shoud i start from? how should i go for it? please give me a sketchy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

i want to take off mandrake and put on redhat 9.0

hey ppl,

i want to take mandrake off my machine and install redhat 9.0 where shoud i start from? how should i go for it?
    please give me a sketchy guideline(s). thanks.

and also, can anyone tell me from where can i download redhat 6.2 ?

Just Joined!
    Why do you like the older versions of redhat?
    Why not fedora?

When installing you will get a prompt on how to format the disk. I believe redhat/fedora gives an option of "delete all linux partitions on this hard drive". This one will wipe out your mandrake and repartition for redhat/fedora.

I could be wrong on this because its been a long time since i've used that distro. Maybe somebody else could tell you for sure.

Just Joined!

got it...

hey solman66

i guess you are right, thanks anyway.
    i am thinking to install an exotic redhat on one of the useless/junk computers in my club office at school, thats all about it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by solman66
    When installing you will get a prompt on how to format the disk. I believe redhat/fedora gives an option of "delete all linux partitions on this hard drive". This one will wipe out your mandrake and repartition for redhat/fedora.
    It WORKED....

Older versions of distros still have their uses. They run, recognize and configure hardware better on older machines.

Get RH 6.2 here. I have it running on a second older box right next to my new Dell/SuSE box. It comes in handy when I'm in the middle of something and need to read directions off the net from another machine.

Did you create a /home partition when you installed Mandrake? When you get to the partitioning part of the RH install, choose "partition manually." Just tell RH 9 to install itself to your old / Mandrake partition and don't let it write over your /home partition but have it mounted as your new /home directory. Some of the configuration files will have to be changed or deleted, but you'll have all your /home directory files in the same place. Also know that RH will want a small /boot partition at the beginning of your drive. 100 MB should be plenty. This also works better on older boxes.

If you did not create a /home partition under Mandrake then be sure to save all your valuable filles to CD before intalling RH.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Enthusiast
    IMO, an older distro is almost always a worse choice than a newer one, unless the newer doesn't work at all (and you've tried it).
    For older systems, you're much much better off installing a tiny distro specifically created for that purpose, such as Damn Small Linux or Feather Linux.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    hey Dan, thanks for the link for 6.2 and the suggestions. actually, i am already done with installing redhat 9 on the machine that previously had mandrake. i chose "automatic partition" and then something like "delete all partitions". i had no useful data needed to be backed up, so i opted to just get rid of everything and install redhat on a fresh hard drive instead of making it overwrite the files already present from the mandrake installation.
    and i agree with stormblazer to some extent, but just a reminder that there are an amazing number of people who still/would use unix system V release 3.0 (BSD) just for the sake of fun of using CLI and controlling the system from a keyboard than a mouse pointer.
    it might sound funny to you, but i have asked a friend of mine to burn me a cd of windows95, i'll gift it to my grandkid in 2040. ...lol...

iceman2000, sounds like you're a "Linux archaeologist" like me! I love looking at old distros. It give one perspective when using the modern distros, and I always learn a great deal while installing and using one. I sure wish I could find a copy of RH 5, or even 4! I've looked and searched to no avail...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    iceman2000, sounds like you're a "Linux archaeologist" like me! I love looking at old distros. It give one perspective when using the modern distros, and I always learn a great deal while installing and using one. I sure wish I could find a copy of RH 5, or even 4! I've looked and searched to no avail...
    INDEED....

hey, for redhat 4, or 5, try looking at one the websites, where vendors have cds for various distros; downside: you have to purchase.
    -peace