Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using vncviewer to access a server running red hat version 5 if I use the video terminal attached to the server I get certain drop down menu options ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

access to pulldown menu

I am using vncviewer to access a server running red hat version 5
    if I use the video terminal attached to the server
    I get certain drop down menu options like Application/Places/system
    the Application has a pull down menu one of which is Accessories which further has
    Terminal / Text editor / calculator among other options
    I list only a few of the many options available

Now if I use vncviewer from another desktop running Windows XP to access the server - If I run a command say xclock
    I do get the graphical clock on my windows desktop
    How should I get the full menu with all the options like Terminal / Text editor / calculator

Is there a command to run to get this ?

Trusted Penguin
    you should already have access to the full desktop, that is the point of VNC. so we must be missing something here. it sounds like you are exporting your display from a remote Linux box back to your Windows box - but then you'd need a local X server running, so yeah, i don't understand.

can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? post it to imageshack or something and link it back here, as pix posted here get shrunk too small to be usable.

what is the VNC client that you are using on WinXP, btw?

also, what user are you using to run the vncserver on the RH box? can you show how it looks in the output of ps, and what the ~/.vnc/xstartup file looks like? you can also look in the VNC log file for info/errors:

~/.vnc/$HOSTNAME:N.log

Just Joined!

solved

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    you should already have access to the full desktop, that is the point of VNC. so we must be missing something here. it sounds like you are exporting your display from a remote Linux box back to your Windows box - but then you'd need a local X server running, so yeah, i don't understand.

can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? post it to imageshack or something and link it back here, as pix posted here get shrunk too small to be usable.

what is the VNC client that you are using on WinXP, btw?

also, what user are you using to run the vncserver on the RH box? can you show how it looks in the output of ps, and what the ~/.vnc/xstartup file looks like? you can also look in the VNC log file for info/errors:

~/.vnc/$HOSTNAME:N.log
    well....thanks to your suggestion I fixed it

The file xstartup had two lines commented

I uncommented them and the lines were

unset SESSION_MANAGER
    exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

once I did this everything started working fine.

Thanks again